Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rgla00 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2006, 02:08 PM
    Spa electrical hook up
    I just bought a used jacuzzi. The manufacturer's manual calls for a 110 20amp hook up. I've had several electricians tell me different ways of hooking this up. Some will just install a 20 amp breaker and then run a wire from the panel to a GFI receptacle and plug or hardwire it in. Another wants to install a GFI breaker and then run a wire to a box by the tub. Which is better? Which is safer? Is there any advanrage to installing a GFI breaker instead of a GFI receptical? Thanks
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2006, 02:20 PM
    Both methods are allowed, and neither is any safer than the other.

The breaker will protect the entire circuit, which is not necessary, and if it trips, you need to go all the way back to the breaker to reset it. Plus, a breaker costs, probably $30.

Using the GFI receptacle near the tub gets the protection closer to the appliance, easy to reset, and the outlet only costs about $10.

I would install and recommend you purchase the receptacle method, just for the lower cost and conveinence.
    MPDano Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2007, 10:42 AM
    Cool, I have the same situation. 110V jacuzzi that I was going to convert to 220V, but am afraid to since the instructions are kind of vague, so I guess I will stick to 110V and do the GFCI Receptacle near the jacuzzi. My used jacuzzi has actually been sitting on my patio for the last 2 years. This post just gave me motivation to get it done.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 17, 2007, 02:44 PM
    I agree with TKrussel - I like having the GFI outlet not only because it's less expensive but because it's there for all to see (and therefore to feel safe), and makes it easy to test.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical wire size for spa [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, I am wiring up my spa and looking at what info I have (GE / Cutler Hammer) they say for a spa (240) use a 50amp breaker (which I have) and use 8/3 size wire. But looking at my spa where you hook the power up it says use 6 AWG minumin? So which should I use from the house to the breaker...

Spa [ 1 Answers ]

Isn't UF for outdoors and THHN indoors? Also when you go to HomeDepot or Lowe's There big Hanging chart says "Outdoors use UF and with a 50 amp breaker use #8" ? Ok, Last question I hope. For my spa, Can I use THHN grade wire #6 copper(romex?)for outdoors if it is running through conduit ?...

Spa wiring questions [ 4 Answers ]

I recently purchased a hot tub (spa). It calls for 6-3 with ground 240 volt 50 amp gfci breaker installed. I have almost completed the job and have some questions. I installed a 50 amp breaker in a subpanel in my laundry room and ran the 6-3 wire with ground down in the crawl space out to the...

Extending spa feed [ 2 Answers ]

I have existing 220v wiring (outdoors) for a spa that I want to extend another 15 ft. in order to hide the panel from view. Do I have to re-wire the run, or can I just extend it with a junction box and another 15 ft. of cable/wire? I'm in California, if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance...

Outdoor Spa and lighting [ 1 Answers ]

Dear all, Happy holiday's I have two 40amps in the main box that feeding the AC Unit. I would like to know if its possible and code pass in new Jersey, Piscataway. To tap into that conduit at a junction point and extend the required wires in a conduit 30-40 feet to a Spa 50/AMPS @ 240...

View more questions Search