Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dk-ferry Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2010, 09:28 AM
    5 year old english sringer spaniel ,will not eat hardley anything ,drinks a lot of what
    5 year old engllish springer spaniel ,will not eat hardly anything ,drinks a lot of water ,peeing a lot vet has her on antibiotic twice a day
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2010, 09:29 AM

What is your question? It would appear that a Vet has seen the dog and would be the best source of info - or am I missing something here?

Jan 1, 2010, 09:34 AM

It has been since Monday dec. 28 since vet visit nothing has changed
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2010, 09:44 AM

What is actually wrong with her?
    Did the vet give you any specifics or just hand over antibiotics?
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2010, 09:45 AM

What are the antibiotics for?
    Drinking more and urinating more sometimes is a sign of diabetes. Did they do bloodwork?

Jan 1, 2010, 09:49 AM

Not eating.. drinking a lot... peeing a lot since she is drinking more... just laying around... she got an antibiotic shot plus amoxicillian to a day for 10 days... tested her for diabetes and then said give antibiotic a chance to work... but not better and vet is closed for 3 days
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2010, 09:52 AM

What did they do to test for diabetes? Blood and urine?
    I'm still unsure as to the reason your dog is on antibiotics..

Jan 1, 2010, 09:55 AM

Urine test for diabetes.. antibiotics cause she had a high fever... she never been sick in 5 years... always been picky eater
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2010, 09:58 AM

I would be getting an opinion from another vet. There is bound to be another one open.

A vet that simply hands over antibiotics for a fever without finding out what is causing it is no good in my book.

The symptoms you described are too general for us to guess at what it could be.
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2010, 10:00 AM

I would get a second opinion as well. I would also get bloodwork done - even just ask them to run a glucose slide. Often times it's picked up on that faster than in the urine.

Your dog isn't on any type of steroid by any chance, is it?

Jan 1, 2010, 10:05 AM

Not on steroid

Jan 1, 2010, 10:21 AM

Thanks to both of you for answering my questions
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2010, 06:36 PM

Sorry we couldn't be more help dk-ferry but with problems like this a vet it your only option.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My 12 yr old spaniel will not eat or drink anything! [ 7 Answers ]

My cocker spaniel is 12 years old, male- and has a fatty tumor (size of a golf ball) on the left side of his body around his knee socket. Our vet said it was harmless and removal for it is not necessary until it starts putting pressure on the rest of his organs. However, my dog has barely eaten...

New puppy won't eat and sleeps a lot [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 10 week old, 3 lb. yorki-poo. I am feeding her the food the people I got her from said she ate, but she only eats about 1/8 a cup. She has lost a little weight. What can I do? Any recommended brand for this type of dog and problem? She sleeps a lot, but will play when encouraged. She...

Greyhound won't eat, drinks water only [ 2 Answers ]

My greyhound won't eat, has been to the vet on IV for 6 days. They cannot give me an answer. We have brought her home . She only drinks water. No interest in any type of food. Normal weight around 58lb. Down to 47lb. Don't know what else to do.

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel won't eat [ 2 Answers ]

From an email: > I have a 7 week old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. She is not eating, > only when we force feed her. I am becoming very concerned because she is > shaking and sleeping a lot. We have given her karo syrup and maple > syrup as per our breeder. But she will not eat the food...

View more questions Search