Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maryli Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2010, 08:59 AM
    How can I place a lien on property until I'm paid back money I lent my brother
    2 years ago I loaned my brother $150,000 to get his business started. He has not paid any of the money back yet and gives me plenty of excusses why he can't yet. How can I place a lien against his assets until he pays me back all that he owes me? Also, if anything happens to him, can I still collect from his wife? They both signed, notorized, a contract with me saying they would pay the money back. I just want to make sure I am eventually paid back. Thanks.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2010, 09:17 AM

You get a Court Judgment first, then you enforce it by liening against his assets (if a lien is legal in your State, that is).

If his wife signed the agreement, yes, she is a party to the contract and either one or both owes you the money.

What is the wording in the contract? Is there a specific date by which you must be paid back or are there specific re-payment arrangements? If not, they are not in default.

If it's not a hostile situation they could willingly agree to some type of collateral or lien by signed contract/agreement.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 1, 2010, 09:31 AM
    The wording of this contract is a key. If this was a personal contract between you and your brother and sister-in-law, then it depends on whether they are in default as to what you can do.

Since there is a contract in place, then you would need to take them to court and get a judgment before you can place a lien.

Since the amount is beyond the scope of small claims court, this could get expensive.

If your goal is to insure that the loan is repaid, you have done your job by getting the loan in writing. Your next steps will only become applicable when the loan is in default.

If you wanted tangible property to ensure repayment then you should have used a promissory note that pledged the assets as collateral for the loan.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 1, 2010, 09:42 AM

Yes, a legal contract has to have specific terms, so when was he to start paying, for how long was he suppose to pay.

If for example the loan only says he is borrowing it and will someday pay it back, he may never had to pay it, since you made no specific time he had to start.

If he is in default of the loan, you sue him, get a attachment of bank accounts, get a lien on property and more

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lent Ex girlfriend money now she won't pay me back [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Was due to move in with girlfriend I have my house and she has hers. She has poor credit history and Debt recovery companies hassling her for Council Tax,Catalogues, Gas and electricity arrears,credit card debt etc. Some of these have payment plans set out. I wrote a MBNA credit card cheque for...

Placing a lien against property in Ontario for work not paid for [ 1 Answers ]

My husband did some work in 2006 for an Ontario property owner on his residence. He submitted a bill which has never been paid. Can we file a lien againstg this property.

Rights of brother in law that has paid taxes on property [ 2 Answers ]

I have paid property taxes on deceased brother law that has no heirs that are alive How to transfer ownership of property to myself

How to place a lien on real estate property [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently living with my husband and have been for the last 8 years. We are married for 6 years now. We are going through some very rocky situations and he is trying to refinance our property. I am not on title with him but that was only because he chose not to put me on even after the first...

I have paid all the money back which I stole [ 4 Answers ]

I was questioned in taking money from work by means of refunding credit cards... I have paid it all back... can they still drop the charges... They may even give me my job back... I was a great employee that came across a really bad situation... Yes I am in Maryland... Is there any chance the...

View more questions Search