Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dzydopey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2009, 10:04 AM
    What can a felony hunt with in Florida
    I want to hunt in the state of Florida and all I know is that I can only hunt with a muzzle loader manufactored before 1918 or a replica of one my felony charge is for thieft over $300.00
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2009, 10:20 AM

It's my understanding that a muzzle loader is not considered a firearm under US Law.

Is that your question?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 1, 2010, 10:08 AM
    It's my understanding that a muzzle loader is not considered a firearm under US Law.
    Strange and misguided as it may be, you are correct:

Title 18, USC, § 921. Definitions:
    (3) The term “firearm” means... or
    (D) any destructive device. Such term does not include an antique firearm.

(16) The term “antique firearm” means—
    (A) any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; or
    (B) any replica of any firearm described in subparagraph (A) if such replica—
    (I) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or
    (ii) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade; or
    (C) any muzzleloading rifle, muzzle loading shotgun, or muzzle loading pistol, which is designed to use black powder, or a black powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition. For purposes of this subparagraph, the term “antique firearm” shall not include any weapon which incorporates a firearm frame or receiver, any firearm which is converted into a muzzle loading weapon, or any muzzle loading weapon which can be readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by replacing the barrel, bolt, breechblock, or any combination thereof.
    § 922. Unlawful acts
    (g) It shall be unlawful for any person—
    (1) who has been convicted in any court of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year;
    To ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce, or possess in or affecting commerce, any firearm or ammunition; or to receive any firearm or ammunition which has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.
    Florida Statute 790.001 Definitions:

1) "Antique firearm" means any firearm manufactured in or before 1918 (including any matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar early type of ignition system) or replica thereof, whether actually manufactured before or after the year 1918, and also any firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1918, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

... (6) "Firearm" means any weapon (including a starter gun) which will, is designed to, or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; the frame or receiver of any such weapon; any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; any destructive device; or any machine gun. The term "firearm" does not include an antique firearm unless the antique firearm is used in the commission of a crime.
    790.23 Felons and delinquents; possession of firearms, ammunition, or electric weapons or devices unlawful.--

(1) It is unlawful for any person to own or to have in his or her care, custody, possession, or control any firearm, ammunition, or electric weapon or device, or to carry a concealed weapon, including a tear gas gun or chemical weapon or device, if that person has been:

(a) Convicted of a felony in the courts of this state;

(b) Found, in the courts of this state, to have committed a delinquent act that would be a felony if committed by an adult and such person is under 24 years of age;

(c) Convicted of or found to have committed a crime against the United States which is designated as a felony;

(d) Found to have committed a delinquent act in another state, territory, or country that would be a felony if committed by an adult and which was punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year and such person is under 24 years of age; or

(e) Found guilty of an offense that is a felony in another state, territory, or country and which was punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year.

(2) This section shall not apply to a person convicted of a felony whose civil rights and firearm authority have been restored.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 1, 2010, 01:15 PM
    You may also bow hunt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will California extradite someone from Florida on felony probation violation? [ 1 Answers ]

I know someone with a probation violation who now has a warrant. They don't have the money to go through the legal process right now so what states can they be safe from being extradited from until they can get the money to resolve the problem?

How to hunt Mushrooms? [ 15 Answers ]

I was wondering if there was any tips on mushroom hunting or where to look for them at or just exaclty anything anybody has to input. Thanks!

Scavenger hunt [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for a movie about some teenagers on a scavenger hunt. There were about five teams in which each team had a specific color. They drove Volkswagen beetles and their cars were the same color of the teams. This movie probably was out during the late 1980's early 1990's. Please someone help...

Can someone leave the state of Florida while pending a court date for felony charge? [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone pending a court date for a felony charge in Florida be allowed to leave the state permamently, with the intent of returning to be present for court?

Job Hunt [ 2 Answers ]

I am in Australia and I am searching for a Job since one month but I am not getting Interview calls itself I am very much frustrated how many days I have to search I already worked in sdney for 3 months due to some reaons I resigned that job May I know when can I get my job and when I will get busy.

View more questions Search