Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Big Mac Troll Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Nov 14, 2006, 08:26 PM
    Spark Plugs
    I have a 1986 Oles with a V8 engine and 125,000 plus miles and the spark plugs have never been replace. My question is should I be concerned about them breaking off leaving the threads in the head? If so what can I do to prevent it?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2006, 08:37 PM
    Yes. Only try removing the plugs when the engine is "stone cold," to lessen the chance of stripping the threads in the aluminum head. Take it real easy and be sensitive to the feel of how it's progressing. Before you begin the job, use Kroil or PB Blaster and allow it to sit overnight. Plugs should really be removed and replaced every several years, to prevent seizure. This is particularly important on platinum plugs, even if you decide to reinstall them. My experience is that platinum plugs should be replaced at about half the mileage recommended in the owner's manual. If they all come out safely, reinstall with half a pea-size drop of anti-seize compound on the lower threads. Allow rotation to spread the compound, as they are tightened. Reduce spark plug torque 25%, since anti-seize is a lubricant, to prevent stripping threads.
    Vandy-1 Posts: 99, Reputation: 6

Nov 15, 2006, 01:22 AM
    I agree with txgreasemonkey although I'm guessing the heads are iron, regardless,
    Use of pb blaster ahead of time will definitely give you an advantage.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Don't get spark from my spark plug wire [ 1 Answers ]

I get spark from my spark plug wire sometimes when I don't the jeep don't start Why I don't get spark sometimes?

110 v plugs [ 3 Answers ]

Can somebody tell me how to connect a 3 pin plug( UK) to a cable from USA? I need to know which is live and which is neutral. Thank you

View more questions Search