Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pluckyflamingo Posts: 220, Reputation: 17

Dec 29, 2009, 10:15 AM
    Types of Birds That's right for me
    I have no animals at the moment, one child (19 months) and husband.

We both work full time but I am close enough to home that I come home for lunch.

I used to take care of my mothers Cockatiel for a few years until someone stole it.

I am now wanting a bird and don't know what kind to pick. I want one that is fun and playful but will also be smart enough to know not to bite (child). I would have a lot of fun with one that could say a few words or more. I do realize that training the bird is a must need to have a behaved bird.

Yes I do realize parrots talk but there are quite a few parrot species out there and just wanted to see if there are other bird lovers out there that might be able to assist me.
    jaime90 Posts: 1,157, Reputation: 163
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2009, 01:04 PM

If you liked the cockatiel, why don't you get a cockatiel? Otherwise, you could try a parakeet... a parakeet would definitely be more fun for your youngster. My little brother's had a few and they loved them! (they're small enough to where biting doesn't hurt, and they're adorable, so, less scary for a little one.)

Dec 29, 2009, 02:43 PM

Well I was preferring one that could talk more
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Dec 29, 2009, 03:05 PM

I would suggest a smaller bird, rather than a parrot. Parrots are rather expensive and can, sometimes, outlive their owners.

It takes years to teach a bird to speak. Some just never learn. Whistling is easier to teach.

Dec 30, 2009, 07:56 AM

I am preferring a type of parrot. Yes I do realize price and the effort involved in teaching them but my question is what type is best. Question is more for people who have experience with birds.

Thank you for your help though
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2009, 02:58 PM

My mother in law has a male Princess Parrot, you can't get that thing to shut up lol He chats away to himself for ages when he's happy. Only downside is he does squawk rather loud when he's angry or wants attention.

He wasn't really trained to talk but he mimics everything he has heard.
    One of the things that is said to him the most is "What are you doing?" so naturally he has copied that and whenever someone walks into the room he asks "What are you doing?" :D

He lives in an outdoor aviary but comes inside for a run around every day.
    He can be wary of strangers but with family he is great, he's quite funny.

Males are always the talkative ones, whether it be a parrot or budgie.

Here's a picture of a Princess Parrot

Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 30, 2009, 03:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pluckyflamingo View Post
    Well I was preferring one that could talk more
    Actually, parakeets do talk. In fact, parakeets are easier to train to talk then parrots, they also usually have a larger vocabulary.

Just fyi. :)
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Dec 30, 2009, 06:19 PM

Do you want a more colorful bird, or does plumage not matter? Does the size of the bird matter?

You have two options, in this case, when looking for a bird. You can either get a younger bird and teach it to talk, or find one that can already talk. If you choose to find one that can already talk, then you're options are more limited.

If you don't want to have to teach the ird, then see if there are any pre-taught birds in your area. Research the specific species that are available and decide from there.

If you don't mind teaching the bird, then your options are nearly limitless. Decide what size bird you want. What colors you want. If there are any special considerations.

Most of the things you said you're looking for, aren't things you can narrow down species with. Every bird has it's own personality, and that will play a far bigger part than rather or not it's a maccaw or cockatoo. You'll need to meet several birds and decide which one has the best personality for your household.

By the way, I have lived with birds most of my life.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2009, 08:28 PM

I've had birds and one thing I can advise you about birds is that they need daily attention and lots of it. Cockatiels are good but don't get a female as they don't talk, just the males do. Don't get lovebirds as they don't talk but make a racket instead. Quaker parrots are good but you must remember to trim their wings (mine flew out the window). Be sure to have the wings properly trimmed. Do not rely on the bird not flying away out an open door or window.

I had several cockatiels living in a big cage in my livingroom that saved my life. They alerted me with their loud "screaming" in the middle of the night when my apartment caught on fire. Had it not been for them I would not be here. This was many years ago.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 30, 2009, 08:56 PM
    I've had birds from parakeets to blue front amazons as well as african grays. African Gray's have the largest vocabluary. Mine would actually sound like the ring of the phone, we would answer and only get a dial tone.

However, you must remember, that with these bigger talking parrots, they are more of a one owner type bird and not always good in a family situation, primarily with toddlers who tend to scare them with their quick movements and the pulling of the feathers,etc.

My father's blue front Amazon (Waldo Krantz) has now outlived 2 owners and is on his third.

Not only are the birds expensive, but so is their treatment should they become ill. They require vets with experience and training with exotic birds.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2010, 10:37 AM

I personally love the African Grays... I got to hand feed a baby one while I worked at Petsmart. He was so awesome... He learned so quickly. He would make the strangest noises and unfortunately he learned to scream like the Jenday that was next to him. He would roll over on his back to get a belly rub and would like to just hang out on your shoulder while you worked.

I personally think the bigger birds if hand reared make better pets then the smaller ones. They're more personal and I have heard from many big bird owners that they're just like owning a cat or dog.

I also worked with a cockatoo that would love to cuddle. You could cradle her in your arms and she would fall asleep. I talked to the owner several times after she was sold and the want to cuddle never left.

A friend of mine was a bird expert and once told me that if you feed the bird hard nuts that the bird will learn to bite harder. It is at the discretion of the owner if they would like to feed nuts or not, but I thought that was interesting and wonder if that does hold true. Also, one thing that I do know is true, is if you continue to hand feed the bird throughout its life (every once in awhile) it will just strengthen the bond between you and the bird. A friend of mine has a 12 year old blue and gold macaw and still hand feeds her once or twice a week.

If you do plan on getting a big bird, please plan for a life long commitment. Birds aren't like cats or dogs that can adjust to a new home, new routine and new owners. Birds find partners for life and depend on them. A lot of the older birds typically die after the owner either dies or gives up the bird. Its quite sad :(

Also... Don't buy any type of bird for the intentions of a baby to handle it. Birds bite, it's a given. A big bird has the ability to break bones. Not a good combination for a child to hold any type of bird. Babies don't understand why it just got bit and would probably traumatize your child..
    joyluo1999 Posts: 240, Reputation: 12

Jan 3, 2010, 10:47 AM
    It really depends on the size of the bird you want or the color. If it doesn't matter you can typically choose any bird you want.

Joy
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2010, 11:17 AM

I had a GREAT African Grey and would get another one in a heartbeat. He was smart, talked, imitated - but he was very needy, needed to be around people all the time or he pouted.

I presently have 2 cockatiels, both males, both rescues.

Jan 4, 2010, 08:02 AM

Thank you for all your much needed advice. I will consider many things before I intend on adopting a bird.

Thanks again!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Birds, birds, birds [ 2 Answers ]

My neighbor leaves food out for the birds. She has decided over the last few months, that she doesn't want to continue. The problem I'm having is that she has been doing this for so long, that now that she has stopped, the birds are in my yard feasting on my dogs food. I leave the dogs outside...

Birds in soffits [ 1 Answers ]

What can I put on my soffits to keep the birds out?

Birds [ 1 Answers ]

I am not sure if this is the right category but here goes. I had a bird in my basement yesterday. Does anyone have any ideas hw it might have gotten in there? I was wondering if birds will crawl through holes and how big of a hole? Thanks

Birds [ 8 Answers ]

What do birds never do on the ground?

View more questions Search