Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CrissyDi Posts: 250, Reputation: 5

Dec 28, 2009, 05:21 PM
    Breastfeeding- Are these symptoms normal?
    My baby is turning 5 months in a couple days and we are still nursing. Lately, I have been feeling tired again (like when I first started nursing) , my urine smells like garlic and looks kind of foggy (I'm not eating anything with garlic in it or taking garlic supplements),I 've been super emotional for random reasons and at random times, and I still don't have a full appetite (but I try to eat as much as I can). I just feel "weird" and I'm not sure if all this is normal while nursing, especially since I'm not eating the volume of food that I should. Today, I felt so shaky and weak and I could barely hold my baby. I have a new insurance and plan on looking for a new primary care doctor, but until then, I wanted to see if all this is normal. Would my OB be able to help me with these issues?

Thanks!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 28, 2009, 05:25 PM

Definitely go to your OB.

This sounds like iron deficiency to me, but that's just a guess. You're not eating the amount of food you should, and you're probably not eating the right foods either.

When you're breastfeeding it takes a lot out of your body. Are you still taking prenatal vitamins, or another vitamin supplement? I was told to continue during breastfeeding.

Is it also possible that you're suffering from postpartum depression?

See your doctor, get to the bottom of this. We can only guess and that won't help you.

Dec 28, 2009, 05:29 PM

No postpartum... I feel fine... just will feel emotional at one time or another and it's not consistent. Maybe have one off emotional day a week or so.

Yeh, I'm not eating the best. I think I need to put myself on a scheduled program.

No, I really need to get on a prenatal... I planned to go get one today. I've been so focused on baby and getting other things together that I've neglected myself.
    Pets Expert

Dec 28, 2009, 10:02 PM

You're breastfeeding, so taking care of baby is taking care of yourself. You need to be able to make milk and keep your body fit. It can't do that if you're not eating properly.

So do it. :)

I would still schedule an appointment with the doctor, just to make sure that it's not something else.

Let us know how it goes. :)

Dec 28, 2009, 10:56 PM

Yes Mame! I will... eat right, take vitamins, and let you know how the appointment goes.
    Pets Expert

Dec 28, 2009, 11:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CrissyDi View Post
    Yes Mame! I will...eat right, take vitamins, and let you know how the appointment goes.
    LOL! If only my children listened this well. :)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 29, 2009, 02:45 AM
    Is it possible that you are pregnant again?

Dec 29, 2009, 12:02 PM

I shouldn't be... I better not be. We use protection... whenever we actually have the opportunity to engage. Haa Haa Also, I just had my period... maybe that drained me as well. This cycle I had actual bleeding for 5 days even though Im nursing and pumping.

Jan 4, 2011, 08:59 PM

Ok, so it was forever ago, but the symptoms did dissapate on their own. I did start taking better care of myself. By the time I went to the doctor, He said everything was normal and told me to use some monistat cream for yeast infection.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it normal to leak colostrum 2 years after finishing breastfeeding? [ 7 Answers ]

I am a 28 year old mother of a 3 year old. In the shower the other night, I had a sensation in my breasts similar to the feeling of milk "let down" when I was breastfeeding. Out of curiosity, I squeezed my nipples, and a tiny bit of colostrum came out of both breasts. I have not breastfed in 2...

Are drywall cracks in arched doorways normal? How much is normal? [ 3 Answers ]

I have large, arched, drywall covered openings in my livingroom and dining areas. Some of them are showing cracks along drywall tape seams. The house is about 5 years old. My question is, how much is normal? Thanks!

Normal Symptoms? [ 1 Answers ]

I am 46 yrs. Old and I think I am going through the start of menopause. After going 3 months without my period last year, I had a battery of tests done that showed all normal. At the moment, I am on week 3 of heavy bleeding and clotting. Is this normal for the beginning of menopause?

Is it normal to have these symptoms after ectopic surgery [ 1 Answers ]

I had a left salpingectomy 4 days ago. I'd had an ecotpic pregnancy and the tube had ruptured. From what I've read since I think I must have been quite lucky because I suffered very little pain and not much blood loss. Anyway since returning home I have been getting really bad night sweats,...

Are these normal symptoms? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, am wrting from london. Last month I had my periods 10 days late.since we are trying to we had an intercourse on fertile days 14th to 16th day as my cycle is for 30 days... this month again I have I more week for my periods and am having these symptoms: I feel more hungry esp early in the...

View more questions Search