Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davep5 Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2009, 07:06 PM
    Trial
    I go to college, and a friend of mine had sex with a girl under the age of 18, he's 21. She was intoxicated and so was he. The incident happened in my dorm room and since I was there I was a witness. He was arrested the next morning, had the peliminary hearing, then the big grand jury where I stated my side of the story, had another grand jury, but I wasn't asked to tell what happened. He was indicted and had spent about a month in jail( since the incident happened). He recently went to court and supposedly pleaded not guilty to the providing alcohol to minors, 3 unlawfully sexual contact with a child and unlawfully dealing with a child... I don't know why he pleaded innocent because he's clearly guilty of all charges. I spoke with him and his lawyer said it was best to plead not guilty or whatever.. I don't want to go to trial because I want to focus on school and everything, but I know since he pleaded not giulty it probably will go to trial... ive read some articles and found that sometimes its stretegic to do that to get charges/sentenced reduced to not go to trial at the pre trial hearing... if anybody has any comments or advice or knowledge about the situation it would be appreciated... thanks!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 25, 2009, 07:27 PM

If there is no plea agreement in place you always plead "not guilty" and try and work out a deal before you go to trial or at least even during the trial.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 25, 2009, 07:27 PM

You have nothing to say about what he and his attorney decide. If they plead innocent you will likely be called to testify and can do nothing to avoid it. Keep your nose out of this as much as possible, you let them in your room and then watched a crime, you may be held partially responsible since you do not tell us you did anything thing to stop the crime.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 25, 2009, 07:29 PM

And actually depending on where you live, consider it lucky that you were not charged with being part of it. If this was me, I would also talk to an attorney, since being in the room and watching a minor having sex may make you also guilty of a few things
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 25, 2009, 09:17 PM

In some states you would also be charged with unlawful sexual contact. Its like this; 2 guys walk into a gas station, one pulls a gun and robs the clerk, they both leave. Who do you think gets arrested?
    davep5 Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2009, 08:52 PM

I'm from ny, and I haven't been charged with anything... yet

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trial Balance & Post Close Trial Balance [ 5 Answers ]

I’m struggling with both trial balance and post close trial balance. From my understanding the post trial balance should include all items that would show on the balance sheet right? It would show total assets and total liabilities right? The assets and expenses would be under debit and...

Trial Balance Worksheet, Adjustments & Adjusted Trial Balance [ 4 Answers ]

I'm trying to do a Trial Balance worksheet and this is what I have to do, I believe these go in the adjustments section. a. Unexpired insurance balance at December 31, 2008: $2,500 b. Supplies on hand at December 31, 2008: $500 c. Depreciation on building for the...

Journal Entries, Adjusting Entries, and Trial and Adjusted Trial Balance [ 5 Answers ]

Can anyone help me with this? I'm confused on how to post these and how to prepare the Adjusted Trial Balance. Window Washing Company opened on July 1, 2010. During July the following transactions were completed. July 1 Issued 14,456 shares of common stock for $14,456 cash. July...

Rights to a speedy trial and can they keep your legally obtained money until the trial? [ 5 Answers ]

15 months ago the APD(Albany Police Department in Oregon) served a search warrant at our home. We had just gotten a settlement from a major motorcycle wreck my other half was in and had cash in our home. We have documents to prove we had just gotten this money 6 days prior to the search warrant....

View more questions Search