Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donsdrywall1 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2009, 12:45 PM
    Why doesn't my engine get any spark
    I have a 1989
    sabrewolfe Posts: 420, Reputation: 96

Dec 24, 2009, 12:49 PM

Could be a bad coil, distributer cap, or coil wire.

Dec 24, 2009, 01:08 PM
    Why doesn't my engine get any spark
    I have a 1989 dodge dakota 6cyl 4wd. When I start it it will run for 15 to 30 min then die. Starts back up does the same. Does this several times before it won't start up at all but turns the crank. Leave it sit for a couple hours and it starts again. When it it finally stops starting all together it has no spark but is getting gas. Have replaced these parts- spark plugs@wires,rotor@cap,coil and replaced negative ground wire. Cleaned pos wire. Turned key to on and lights on dash come on so I am sure my ignition is good. I am at a loss.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2009, 02:06 PM

There's likely a problem with the distributor, such as a bad pickup coil. A new distributor costs $60, after core deposit, at AutoZone.
    RUSTYSHACKLEFOR Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2009, 11:39 PM

Dakotas of this vintage are notorious for having main power wires corrode apart near the battery. Pull back the conduit and check for red wires with a white tracer. There is a crimp connection near the battery that is very common to rot apart. May not be your problem but worth a look before just throwing parts at it.

Dec 26, 2009, 12:10 PM

Thanks for the advice I will check
    IMberains Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2009, 04:05 PM

There could be a couple things... the COP(coil on plug) the spark plug wire... your spark plug, altenator, battery the wires can corrode, I will look more into this too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spark plug doesn't spark while grounded but will if you hold it away from ground [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Honda Z50 that I picked up at a bargain and it wasn't firing if you hold the plug on the head, I noticed if I hold the spark plug about an inch or so away from the head spark will jump from the plug to the head or what ever else you hold it next to or if you just hold it in your hand it...

14 hp kohler engine no spark [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have a 14 hp kohler engine model is k321 I have no spark I am not very good with kohler engines its electric start I hook a booster pack to it and no spark I sanded the points a little the coil wire was a little rusty cleaned it now do I have to hook a live wire from the battery to the coil...

16 hp b&s engine no spark [ 2 Answers ]

Thanks mowerman, I removed the kill wire on the coil it still doesn't start. Is this a bad coil?

No fire or spark on 16 Hp briggs engine [ 2 Answers ]

When checking the plug for fire there is none and engine will not start. Any suggestions on what part to check? Thanks

Kohler Engine K181s No spark? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1975 Wheel horse lawn tractor. It has a Kohler Model k181s motor in it. Recently it died while I was mowing. I replaced a bad coil wire. A coil that was leaking some type of fluid, and the spark plug. Still I have no spark... what do I replace next? :(

View more questions Search