Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    weetamoe79 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2009, 06:15 AM
    TV over fireplace
    I plan to mount my 40" lcd tv over the fireplace. there will be 21" from the top of the fireplace to the bottom of the TV with a 7" deep mantle between. I have between 4-5 fires a year. Will the heat from the fireplace damage the TV?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2009, 06:27 AM

I would refer to the owners manual to see what temperature the unit can handle.

In addition to the possible heat, which all depends on how well your FP is drafted, the soot will collect on the unit.

Me personlly, I would not have my TV above a fireplace.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 25, 2009, 12:05 PM

The wood smoke/soot will definitely not be good for your new TV set. Would recommend putting the TV elsewhere unless you don't plan on using the fireplace ever again. Wood fires are very dirty expelling tiny dirt particles into the air that your set with grab as the TV needs to be ventilated and the particles will latch onto the TV components inside the box.

Although the tv's look great mounted above fireplaces in the interior designer's photos, etc. the placement is definitely not TV friendly. Pick a different spot far enough away from the fireplace or you'll be replacing the TV every few years or so.
    FadedMaster Posts: 1,510, Reputation: 148
    Ultra Member

Dec 25, 2009, 08:47 PM

As mentioned by twinkie... it's not so much the heat as the soot and smoke. If it's a wood burner, I recommend not doing it. If it's gas, then I wouldn't be to concerned. I've mounted plenty of TVs above gas burners.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fireplace Downdraft [ 5 Answers ]

I'm having a downdraft issue with my second fireplace, which is located 2 floors below the main fireplace. I currently have a rain cap on both but think I need a top sealing damper. I did some research and it looks possible to retro fit my existing fireplaces. I had a fireplace guy out and he...

Fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

Hi,this is whisky4 asking about the highest safe temputure for a fireplace,the fireplace I have is fairly thick as it sticks outside of house plus what is inside the house,the house was built in 1924had a chimney sweep look at it and he sid it was all right,thank,s

Leak around basement fireplace but not in fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

Recently when we had heavy rain it leaked around the baement fireplace. I have noticed that the grout around the bricks are wet (not sure if soaking up from the floor). Thought because some flooding near by that it was a one time thing. Now it rained a coupe of days ago and I am noticing that it is...

Fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

I have an existing fireplace (insert) w/ a brick chimney. It is fairly old, but in decent shape except for the back wall of the insert itself. It appears to be nothing more than concrete or mortar of some type over top of the back metal wall of the fireplace. It is cracked and has several plugs...

Fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

I bought my townhouse, new in 1991 direct from the builder. The fireplace came with the townhouse and is now 12 years old. Here is my problem, In the front left & right corners of the bottom of the fireplace where the floor of the fireplace and metal frame come together there is a gap of about...

View more questions Search