Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fschnereger Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2009, 04:10 PM
    Daughters in law problems
    My son recently separated from his wife of 2 years. I think they have been separated for 2 or 3 months now. She and I were not close. My son often came to family events without her. All I know about the separation comes from my son who says she didn't like him drinking with his friends. I don't need to know more. The problem for me now is she has sent a Christmas card and an email. My son is here for the holiday. He has apparently seen her and she has sent me a Christmas gift. I didn't realize she had sent me a gift until I heard him arguing with her on the phone about when he should give it to me... I think I am going to return it and tell her I do not want any gifts as I don't want to be in the middle of their feud. I may also suggest they look into counciling as she seems to be reaching out to me, and my guess is she wants me to help them work it out.
    rockie100 Posts: 313, Reputation: 64

Dec 23, 2009, 05:58 PM

Excepting a Holiday gift wouldn't put you in the middle of anything. Giving it back might though. What would you say if they got back together? Many couples reunite after a separation. When you call, or write, to thank her for the gift, say that you would like to try to stay out of their argument. Im sure she would understand. Tell her you would like to see them get help.
    rosemcs Posts: 325, Reputation: 47

Dec 23, 2009, 06:02 PM

It is possible for her to be friends with you without involving her husband. You are a separate person from him. She is recognizing you as a friend and showing you kindness. It is much better than the opposite. Why be judgmental? Accept the gift and stay out of what you want. You don't have to be in the middle of anything and you can tell her or just remain obviously neutral by not getting involved.

There is no reason to insult her and tell her to take the gift back. That may be very hurtful. Most people have inlaws that they don't get along with, but learn how to stay out of the fire. Remember, there are always two sides of the story.
    fschnereger Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2009, 08:33 AM

Thank you both. It seems perfectly clear to me now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Daughters future mother-in-law seems mentally ill [ 6 Answers ]

My daughter is constantly upset at her future mother-in-law. This woman calls her son about five times a day and shows up at their home uninvited with food to cook that only she and her son will eat. Her son won't say much bacause she uses anger and the cold treatment if he does. The woman never...

My daughters behavior causes problems within my relationship. [ 7 Answers ]

My spouse and I have been together for a year and during this time my 11year old daughter has tried everything to make this as unpleasurable as she can. She wines, is disobedient and causes arguments so bad that the possibility of breaking up arises. We love each other very much. And I love my...

My daughters over at in law [ 2 Answers ]

I don't want my daughters over at in laws place. But my wife against my idea, she take them over there with letting me know and she's at work. I don't like her parents and they don't like me and I don't think it's a good idea for my just to go there and get my daughters. What should I do?

Sister-in-law problems. [ 1 Answers ]

My brother does not want to be with her anymore, since then he's been staying with us. Now that b*tch called acs on me. Which I don't have anything to do with their problem. What can I do on my behave. Can I take her to court for disgracing my character? Or what? Help...

In law problems [ 4 Answers ]

I am engaged and about to have a baby with a really wonderful man. However, ever since we got engaged, his parents have been acting out in ways that I take as rude, personal digs against me. My fiancé says that this is all in my head and they mean no harm. So I don't know where the problem is...

View more questions Search