Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rainlover Posts: 16, Reputation: 4

Dec 7, 2009, 01:51 PM
    ask me help desk relationships
    I dated a co-worker for about a year (I know, not the best idea, but at least he was in a different department). He broke up with me and immediately began seeing someone else at work. My woman's intuition tells me there was some overlap. They were always together, and he works on her projects, she's essentially his boss. Anyway, I didn't make any contact with him after the breakup and did my best to avoid seeing him at the office, just trying to de-attach and heal. After a month I was just starting to feel OK, when he called me to tell me that he was seeing her.

He started the conversation by asking if I was at work. I had just left. He then proceeded to tell me that he really valued my friendship and hoped that we could be friends. I said, " you called me to tell me this?" And he said "No there's something else, I wanted you to hear it from me before you heard it from anyone else, you've suspected it, and there is something going on between me and whatshername." I was floored, called him a nasty name, and told him to never speak to me again. He texted me, said he was really, really sorry, and that he didn't expect me to ever forgive him.

After the call, they made no effort to conceal their relationship and of course it's the topic of all the office gossip. It's been almost 3 months since that phone call, and I'm still having a really difficult time seeing both of them at work. It's a constant reminder of being deceived, lied to, and cheated on.

I spoke to a friend of his who wished for me to find peace with my ex. What does that mean? I have a feeling that at some point my ex will want to be friends, although he has not made any attempt to contact me, except for waving when we drive past each other in the parking lot. I have remained friends with most of my exes, but I have no desire to extend my friendship to someone who did not treat me as a friend. I feel like had the circumstances been different that friendship may have been a possibility, but given the level of insensitivity on his part, why would I want to be friends with that?

I have done my best to rise above it, but any thoughts on how to cope and move on would be appreciated. I am looking for another job, but at the same time I'm trying to make sure that I am not running away. How do I deal with this?
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 7, 2009, 02:06 PM

First, and foremost, realize that's the hazards of having a relationship with a co-worker. If things don't work, then you have to still see them at work. That can be miserable, for sure.

Its also unwise to try backing up, and being friends after the relationship ends, that's tough, and slows the healing down to a crawl.

In my eyes, he has not gone out his way to be deceitful, or disrespectful, you just can't stand to see him having moved on.

I think you leave him alone, and try to get your own happiness. And balance back in your life. By having friends family. And activities. Outside of work, that you enjoy, to help you move on.

It may take a while, but stick to it, and be patient, as you slowly have other things to make you happy to look forward to.

At work, avoid them the best you can.

Dec 7, 2009, 02:31 PM
    I understand I took that risk getting involved with a co-worker, and I need to accept the consequences of making my work life difficult. It's true it is really difficult to see him moved on, especially so soon. Obviously, he left the relationship (at least emotionally) earlier that I did.

I do however feel deceived and disrespected. They were obviously starting something when he was still with me. I found out that others in the office knew about it, and that he was told by someone else that he should be the one to tell me, because someone else was going to.

What makes it more difficult was that after the breakup I did a lot of soul searching, went to a therapist to look at my part, and I owned up to my with him. We ended up sleeping together. I know it happens. I thought maybe there was a chance for reconciliation, and that wasn't an option for him. He said he hoped this (having sex) didn't complicate things for me. Well it did, especially because I found out later he was already pursuing her.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Dec 7, 2009, 02:52 PM
    You are in an awkward position. There was obvioulsy something going on with this guy and another woman, and others knew about it in the office. They also knew you didn't know, so that eliminates people that you thought were your friends. Knowing what they did, and seeing you be strung along, to me at least, makes the whole bunch of them less than stellar people.

I think that the sooner you go and work somewhere else the better. In the meanwhile, all you can do is focus on your work, minimize all contact, don't give anybody in there reason to keep nattering. Learn to enjoy your own company, and deflect comments. Realize that in the larger scope of things, what you face is only temporary, and it will pass when the next round of office gossip starts.

He sounds like the type of person who wouldn't turn down any opportunity if you get my drift.

I hope you get out of there soon.
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2009, 02:58 PM
    So he was,at least emotionally cheating on you before the breakup. I think it's time to realise that you're well rid of him.
    And if he makes a habit of dating his coworkers sooner or later that's going to bounce right back at him.

Dec 7, 2009, 03:02 PM
    Thanks for the advice. It has affected the whole office environment. In the court of public opinion, people are definitely not impressed by their behaviour and a couple have told me how inappropriate their actions were (they started fooling around at the office after hours when others were around, and she broke up with her live-in BF too around the same time we broke up). It feels like high school and not a professional environment anymore. To be honest, work hasn't been satisfying for a while. This was just the cherry on top. I'm looking...
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2009, 03:07 PM

Looking for a new job with less drama-good idea I think.
    And keep minimum contact with both of them.

Dec 7, 2009, 03:20 PM

Yeah, I thought I could stick it out and wait for the karma to kick in, but it's not worth it. I feel like a disposable object, like I was narcissized.
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2009, 03:32 PM
    It always hurts when we realize we handed over our hearts to the emotionally incompetent,but with time I think you'll come to see that you're the winner here.

Dec 7, 2009, 04:10 PM

That helps, emotionally incompetent is right. I have to keep remembering that, especially when I see them. They are emotionally incompetent and they deserve each other. So true!
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2009, 05:00 PM

Nobody said that you have to be friends. This guy is a cheater. Why would you want to be his friend?

No, you let him screw his way to the middle.

Despise him if you want to.

Don't let this issue make you quit a good job though. If this job is one that you enjoy doing, and you have good pay and benefits, stay. Hang in there long enough to get over this "bump".

You are the better person. He is not someone who is worthy of the pain.

Everyone there knows what he did to you. I think that you found out who your friends are, and aren't.

Ignore him at all costs. Look the other way when he is around. Let the guilt eat at him.

Make a list of his bad habits, faults, and behaviors. Keep this list handy, and pull it out whenever you need to.

A nice guy is just around the corner. The world is full of them.

I wish you the best.

Dec 7, 2009, 10:32 PM

Thank you. You're right he isn't worth it. I guess this has struck a core issue for me. I am working on it with a therapist. I know deep down he isn't the real problem. I just hate that I brought my personal life to work for everyone to see. It's humiliating. Right now, I'm just trying to sort out if it really is the job I don't like or am I running away. I do have friends there that I would miss, but the overall environment is not very hospitable.

Dec 22, 2009, 02:39 PM
    Can't face him and new girlfriend
    Threads merged

Hey, I guess I could just use some support. I posted a while back about my ex boyfriend whom I work with who cheated on my with another girl from work. They are still together, its been 4 months. I took stress leave from work a couple months ago. This was just the cherry on top, there were other factors. Anyway, I may have to go back soon unless I can find another job and am dreading it. I have good days and bad days, I thought I would be over this by now. We went our for 9 months.

I can't believe that I still get sad, given that this jerk cheated on me. The fact is that I know I deserve better, and it really bums me out that I was treated this way. I feel like a disposable object. Not even an afterthought and it hurts. On top of that his girlfriend moved into my neighborhood 2 blocks away from me. I'm dreading seeing them around. I feel very territorial as I have lived in this neighborhood for 20 years, and they are essentially transplants. How do I get over this?!
    notsogreat Posts: 49, Reputation: 24

Dec 22, 2009, 02:45 PM

Your healing cannot begin until you separate yourself from him and his life. Seeing him is like a slap in the face, and especially to see him happy makes you feel worse, right? If a job change cannot happen, do what I do, look through him and her. I am at social events now and my ex and his new fiancée are there, and I just act like they are not there, pay them no mind, and eventually it stopped bothering me. I was engaged to be married, and lived with my ex for ten years. Although nine months is not that long of a time, love can develop rather quickly. I am however, envious of you, for knowing that you deserve better and have your whole life ahead of you and don't waste another second thinking about your ex, his new girl, his life. Just try to focus on you. I had to go to therapy when I was dumped, losing my ex was horrible, or so I thought. My therapist said go home and write a list of pros and cons of your ex, and bring it in to me the next time. Do you know I had a list of like twenty things on the con list and not one thing on the Pro list. I wondered why I wasted so much time on someone that I neither trusted, respected, etc... But writing down your feelings and maybe speaking to a close friend or therapist could help you at this time. Good luck!

Dec 22, 2009, 02:54 PM

I am seeing a therapist and it is helping. I guess it helped me to realize that I do deserve better. I have the pros and cons list, guess I will just have to look at it more often. It's the loss of the dream that sucks, and the fact that I gave my heart to someone who wasn't equipped to deal with it.
    notsogreat Posts: 49, Reputation: 24

Dec 22, 2009, 02:56 PM

I know, it is not easy. Especially with the holidays here, it makes you really miss your ex. Keep your head up.
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2009, 03:30 PM
    First, let yourself mourn what you perceive as your loss. Crying is a good release for the confusing mix of pain and anger that you might be feeling at the moment. Do you have a friend who would be willing to listen to you unload your emotional pain?

Don't let this horrible relationship scar you for life. Move on. Start loving yourself again. Go out with friends, or spend more time with your family.

REMEMBER - after the storm comes the sun. It’s time to get out of your cave. The relationship is over, so look in the mirror and tell yourself that everything will be okay from now on.

Go back to work. You have nothing to feel ashamed or embarrassed about. You didn't do anything wrong. He's the one that lied and cheated. He's the one that should be hanging his head in shame!

-----------------------------------

If you can't save the relationship, at least save your pride.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who wouldn't give up on them.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 22, 2009, 03:57 PM
    Your grief is understandable, and I agree that venting those feelings is a good idea. Whether it be a strenuous work out, building some intense anger, or a good honest cry on the shoulder of a trusted friend, it does help to get those feelings out where they can be dealt with, and walked away from.

Keep your head up!

Dec 22, 2009, 06:05 PM

My therapist said that I am doing a good job because at least I am healing and haven't been driven to drinking or drugs.

I have gone "no contact" for over 3 months. Had to see him at work for the first month, and had no contact then too, with the exception of a dirty look given to each of them. Then I figured I'd smile at them and she just scowled at me. He waved to me though as he drove by once, I laughed.

What's hard is hearing about how "serious" their relationship is from mutual friends. I've had to go no contact with his roommate, who was originally a friend of mine. The work friends, I can definitely tell who's on what side. Some of their friends have no respect for them anymore, but they have sure done a good job in cultivating certain friends who seem very OK with it. It's a disgusting situation.

I think the fact that it's the holidays isn't helping...
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2009, 12:47 AM
    I hope you have plans for the holidays with friends and family. Don't let this situation run your life,remember what I said before-he is an emotional incompetent and you are well rid of him.
    I wish you a peaceful holiday season.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I can't figure out my face shape and I want to get my hair cut to suit my face [ 5 Answers ]

The measurements of my face are: Widest part of cheekbones (cheekbone to cheekbone) - 9 inches Widest part of jaw (widest part on the left to widest part on the right) - 8 inches Widest part of forehead (" ") - 8 inches Length of face - 7 inches It says my face shape is square but it...

Should I get on a plane and find out what happened face to face? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, I was in a relationship with a girl I met through World of Warcraft(pc game) for about three years until the 4/11/09 when I she ended it, over msn. She is Norwegian, I'm English. She was 16 when I met her and I was 17. I'm now 21 and she is 19. We've spent a lot of time together....

Ex-boyfriends new girlfriend in my face [ 21 Answers ]

Hi, I need help so badly. I had a boyfriend for a while, but he dumped me and started being with another woman. I have been trying to get over it, but the problem is, we both belong to a group of people who meet regularly. Lately he keeps bringing her to our gatherings and I have to...

I want to see my girlfriend face on web cam [ 3 Answers ]

Am a nice young man kind & lovable, am from india,I falled in love with a malaysian Girl through internet chatting.we both are truly loving past 2 years,everyday we use to Talk through micro phone.everyday she is watching me on web cam.but when I ask her Show her face on web cam or to send...

Regular contact, but no face to face [ 2 Answers ]

We dated a while, then he wanted to take a break from seeing each other, but maintained some contact (txt. Message, some calls), about four weeks ago, we began to date some again, and saw each other 3 times in 2 weeks, he makes some form of contact every day, but we haven't seen each other again...

View more questions Search