Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nonpocillovist Posts: 16, Reputation: 4

Nov 14, 2006, 12:14 AM
    Sealing Grain in Oak Cabinets before Painting?
    I would like to paint my cheap oak prefab kitchen cabinets. I am worried that I will have to apply numerous coats to hide the grain. The doors are thin with a frame around them and I think they were sealed with some type of urethane, but that has worn away unevenly.

I'm wondering if there is some type of thin filler material (like spackle, but more durable) that I could apply with a putty knife and then sand, so that I would be starting with a smoother surface for painting.

Any recommendations on type of primer and paint to use would also be appreciated. I would prefer to use water-soluable, but would consider oil-based if it will make a huge difference.

Thanks!!
    Julie
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Nov 14, 2006, 06:14 AM
    If you want something really durable you can use car bondo/body filler.

It's a 2 part system. You have the gray body filler and a small tube of accelerator.
    Scoop some filler onto a flat scrap of wood add a small amount of accelerator, mix the two together and using a 2" wide plastic putty knife fill in the grooves. Sand when dry (usually 15 min.)

NOTE- don't not mix more than you can work with. Depending how much accelerator you use, the filler will dry very quickly. About 2-5 min.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spray painting kitchen cabinets? [ 6 Answers ]

Does automotive paint work well for kitchen cabinets? I have a regular spray gun, not hplv. If not what kind of paint should I use. I am painting over new MDF. Thanks.

Painting veneered kitchen cabinets [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking to freshen up kitchen cabinets with paint. Cabinets are veneered wood outside surface.

Painting kitchen cabinets [ 1 Answers ]

Our kitchen cabinets are dark brown and I believe are made of formica. What is the best way to paint them? Do we need to use a deglosser on them? What is the best primer and paint to use? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Painting Kitchen Cabinets [ 4 Answers ]

:( Two weeks ago, I decided to paint my kitchen cabinets. Unfortunately, I misread the directions I had obtained searching on the internet. I cleaned the cabinets really well with a degreaser, removed them all. My husband added trim. I sanded the new trim but didn’t sand the old varnish that was on...

Flour/Grain bugs [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know who to stop these pesky grain bugs that get into your flour and grain products? I have tried the spearmint gum trick, and that does seem to work a little bit, but isn't there something better?

View more questions Search