Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tany072075 Posts: 57, Reputation: 4

Dec 22, 2009, 07:26 AM
    Over weight beagle
    I am going to be adopting a beagle from a friend soon. She is quite over weight and was hit by a car last spring and ended up with a dislocated hip. She's doing very well but I want to take some weight after I get her. She is an average size beagle. I'd just like to have an idea of an approximate weight she should be. She also has some arthiritis and I think she'd get around a little better if she lost some weight.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2009, 08:59 AM

The best person to tell you the appropriate weight for the dog and how to take weight off her is a Vet.

Congratulations on taking this special needs dog.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 22, 2009, 09:00 AM

Beagle should weigh, full grown no more then 30 lbs. You are absolutely correct that weight off will benefit that hip injury and the arthritis. She may also benefit from a supplement called glucosmine/controiden which in itself doesn't do much for the arthritis but lubricates joints and keeps tendons, ligaments in good repair which do impact on the athritis.

You don't say how old she is, but no matter, they are a wonderful family dog, lots of energy, loves walks and as they are a scent hound, will always have the nose to the ground enjoying new scents.

We have a favourite neighbourhood Beagle called Daisy and she never forgets anyone who greets her while out on a walk.

Best of luck !

Tick

Dec 22, 2009, 10:45 AM

Thank u very much. Yes, I am quite familiar with this dog as she belongs to a close friend of mine. I actually took care of her after she was injured. Honestly I have not been very fond of beagles in the past, but she is exceptional. I believe she is about 8 years old. Can't be positive though because my friend got her from a shelter as an adult. He has 2 young labs who are very active and poor Macy (the beagle) just gets trampled over all the time so we decided she'd be happier with me since I just have a cat who absolutely loved having her here before. It's a win/win for alll of us.
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2009, 11:06 AM

I know beagles come in all sort of sizes. I have a friend with one that is tall and long and a second, shorter, not so long.

Which type is yours?

Dec 22, 2009, 11:43 AM

I'd say she's somewhere in between. Not real long but not too short either. Her legs are pretty short though. Rides pretty close to the ground. Lol
    Expert

Dec 22, 2009, 01:55 PM

The breed that looks like a beagle but is very low, short legs, long ears is called a Basset Hound. Same markings as a Beagle but quite different. Is it a Basset Hound you have ?

Following up on JKTs question.

There is a picture on this website http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/...6/basset-hound

Tick
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2009, 03:39 PM

I'm not sure if you're talking to me but I worked in animal rescue. I know the difference between bassets and beagles.

AKC (I don't know what the Canadian registry is called) Beagles can be either 13" or 15" high at the shoulder with length to match.

Breeders are also breeding a smaller, almost miniature, but it's not recognized in the US.
    Expert

Dec 22, 2009, 03:51 PM

Bassets and Beagles are both popular family dogs here (where I am). Bassets are low flung dogs, looking a lot like Beagles, Beagles look like miniature hound dogs except the ears aren't long, Judy.

US, olf course is American Kennel Club, Canadian is CKC, both breeds are recognized; basset or beagle, both were used in the UK over the last l00 years for different purposes, the Beagle used for small game hunting because they are scent hounds, the lower Basset used for the same purpose but for vermin because they could chase it down being shorter legged.

We still haven't found out which one OP has.

Tick
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2009, 05:09 PM

Kind of figured we were on the same page - and we are. Also Bassets are longer slung (at least in my neck of the woods).

Dec 22, 2009, 05:10 PM

Yes I know the difference between bassets and beagles too. Macy is a beagle
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Dec 23, 2009, 12:47 PM

You can also try a weight management dog food. The glucosamine that Tickle suggested works wonders on old injuries. And of course pleanty of excersise, as long as it doesn't effect her injury! Poor little gal :(

Dec 23, 2009, 05:00 PM

Thank you. She's actually doing quite well. Pretty much back to normal other than the cold temperature here is affecting her more than I remember from last year. But otherwise, she's doing great. I got her last night. I'm going to try a weight control diet and cut down on the treats that I know her previous owner always gave in on. Lol. It's hard when she gives the sweet sad eyes though. She's such a sweetheart but I know it'll help her in the long run.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2009, 05:03 PM

You can still giver her treats, just low calorie ones.
    Some dogs LOVE vegetables, so a small piece of carrot could be used as a treat if she likes it ;)
    Expert

Dec 23, 2009, 05:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    You can still giver her treats, just low calorie ones.
    Some dogs LOVE vegetables, so a small piece of carrot could be used as a treat if she likes it ;)
    Excellent idea. I buy the bags of baby carrots for Taffy. She likes them right out of the fridge. In fact she has liked them ever since she teethed on them all those many years ago. She considers them, I am sure, her best treat; other then milk bones, but not many of them.

Tick
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Dec 28, 2009, 03:09 PM

I but liver at the grocery store, BBQ it and then cut it in chunck and freeze it. It's great for their teeth, and SO much cheaper then store bought ttreats, and no preservatives! I do it with heart, liver and kidneys. The liver is high in fat though, as is all organ meet, so you may want to watch out for that!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Beagle puppy help! [ 4 Answers ]

I am a new beagle owner whose name is molly and is 10 weeks old. The breeder from which I purchased Molly did not housetrain her. I did some research and I hear that beagles are hard to housetrain. Well I'm stressed out because here I am with this cute puppy bad see pees and poohs everywhere... im...

How can I tell if my beagle is pregnant [ 2 Answers ]

How do I tell if my beagle is pregnant

Beagle weight issues [ 2 Answers ]

I have a two year old beagle. This Wed. she will be spayed. She has been having problems keeping weight on. She only weighs about 19 pounds. I was wondering if after she is spayed if she will gain weight? If so, is there anything that I can feed her or give her to make her gain weight more after...

About my beagle [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 3 year old beagle that is scraching so bad that she is making her self bleed and scabe up bu tthere is no hair lose what can I do for dry skin if that's the case is you coud help me I would aprishat it thank you karen

Need help beagle [ 1 Answers ]

My dog is 4 years old He has gotten very sick and I cannot afford to take him to a vet. He has become very tired won't eat and is drinking some water but not much .He is an outside dog he has had all his shots. I went and purchased some penecillin to see if that would help but his condition is not...

View more questions Search