Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    patrina1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2009, 08:56 PM
    What if I owe my ex boyfriend money
    I have been struggling with my rent and my boyfriend at the time helped my out with 1 weeks rent, I didn't ask for this money he offered and I accepted. We had an argument that night and he was drunk and called me names and I broke it off with him. He has been demanding the money back since. I don't have this money to give back to him as I am broke. I think he may take me to the small claims, but there is no proof that he gave me this money and as I said he offered to help me out, I didn't ask.
    FadedMaster Posts: 1,510, Reputation: 148
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2009, 09:36 PM

Well, this post is "proof." Haha. But if he gave it to you with no intent of getting that money back, it sounds like a gift to me. If you are worried about him taking you to small claims, just pay him back when you get the money and tell him you intend to do so.

I'm by far no expert in law, but I can see little reason to take you to small claims. That is unless rent where you are is several times more than where I am. Haha.

How much did he "loan" you?
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2009, 09:58 PM

Faded master, this is a legal board. Let's stick to giving legal advice. ;)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2009, 08:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by FadedMaster View Post
    Well, this post is "proof." Haha. But if he gave it to you with no intent of getting that money back, it sounds like a gift to me. If you are worried about him taking you to small claims, just pay him back when you get the money and tell him you intend to do so.

I'm by far no expert in law, but I can see little reason to take you to small claims. That is unless rent where you are is several times more than where I am. Haha.

How much did he "loan" you?

We take great pride in our answers on the legal boards - please only post if you've researched, have experience or education in the law.

This isn't a chat board and "ha ha" is out of place.

OP - as far as the question is concerned you don't say it was a gift. If it was not a gift, you owe him the money, whether you broke up or not and despite the circumstances of the breakup. Your own words say you owe him money.

Will he take you to Small Claims Court? He might, to prove his point. At that point you will argue "gift" and he will argue "loan" and a Judge will decide.

It might just be easier to pay him and get him out of your life - if that is what you want.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 20, 2009, 02:08 PM

Ok, it is a legal board, but the post gave me a laugh, needed that today

This is the issue,
    If he gave you the money as a git, then you don't owe it back

If he loaned you the money, you owe it back.

You should not of course lie in court under oath about receiving the money

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does my ex roomie owe me money? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm guessing I'm out of luck, and I most likely wouldn't even bother to pursue this if I could, but it is still frustrating. My ex college roommate was fairly awful, but I guess that has no bearing. Before I knew this about her, we discussed getting a microfridge for our room. Microfridges from...

Do we owe any money? [ 1 Answers ]

We received a 1099-A form from our lender because we abandoned or second vacation home last 2/27/08. This form shows the balance of our principal, and the fair market value of the property. My question is, do we still owe money to the lender or to the IRS. Thank You. Please email at...

Do I owe her money? [ 6 Answers ]

A good friend that I had known for many years offered me a place on her birthday trip to Ireland and told me that I would have to pay for the accommodation (which I did upfront), a few fancy dress outfits and other expenses such as food and drinks etc on the trip. I had to back out of the trip...

I owe my Ex some money, what would you do? [ 12 Answers ]

I owe my ex girlfriend some money, it's not a massive amount, £60 / $120. We used her credit card to pay for a holiday 2months ago. The amount doesn't bother me, will she think of me as a really good guy if I pay it her back do you think? I'm going through NC so I can do it as an online bank...

Do I owe a lot of money? [ 2 Answers ]

I got a 1099 this year because I don't get taxes taken out every week. I made 6700 total for the year. How much will I owe. I'm a full time student and I don't thik my mom claims me. I am single and 20 years old I am really worried here...

View more questions Search