Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    laural9009 Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Dec 10, 2009, 03:54 PM
    Ceiling fan remote troubleshooting
    Casablanca Ceiling fan with light kit and remote. Versa Touch remote turns fan off and on, but the light won't turn off. There is no wall switch.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 10, 2009, 03:58 PM

When did this fault start happening?

Dec 10, 2009, 04:01 PM

The whole thing worked well for a year or two. I think one of the wires in the ceiling disconnected because everything stopped working. When I reconnected the wiring the problem existed. I just bought a new light kit (My other one had a broken fixture on it) and I can't get that light off via the remote either.

Dec 10, 2009, 04:08 PM

Do you need more info?

Dec 10, 2009, 04:10 PM

Coming off the receiver in the canopy you should have a black for the fan and a blue for the light, they share a common white neutral. You can put a tester between the blue and white once you try to turn on the light, no power means a bad receiver or transmiter. If you have power between blue and white chcek the connections to the light kit, even check inside the light socket for power

Dec 10, 2009, 04:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by laural9009 View Post
    The whole thing worked well for a year or two. I think one of the wires in the ceiling disconnected because everything stopped working. When I reconnected the wiring the problem existed. I just bought a new light kit (My other one had a broken fixture on it) and I can't get that light off via the remote either.

Dec 10, 2009, 04:18 PM

?? Why are you quoting yourself with no new info?

Dec 10, 2009, 04:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Coming off the receiver in the canopy you should have a black for the fan and a blue for the light, they share a common white neutral. You can put a tester between the blue and white once you try to turn on the light, no power means a bad receiver or transmiter. If you have power between blue and white chcek the connections to the light kit, even check inside the light socket for power
    Looks like I have to take the whole thing apart again and check it out. Thanks for the response. I will give it a try.

Dec 10, 2009, 04:21 PM

Let us know how it progresses, there are sevral here who help with fan. Ceilingfanrepair isn't here every day but he does excellent work.

Dec 10, 2009, 04:25 PM
    ??? why are you quoting yourself with no new info?
    That's a good question,I'm new to this and trying to figure it out.

Dec 10, 2009, 04:27 PM
    Let us know how it progresses, there are sevral here who help with fan. Ceilingfanrepair isn't here every day but he does excellent work.

So how can I rate your response? It looks like I can only rate my responses to your questions, which kind of defeats the purpose.

Dec 10, 2009, 04:27 PM

I think you accidentally clicked on that little blue box at the bottom of one of your posts. That would do it.

Dec 10, 2009, 04:28 PM
    You are probably too new to be able to rate folks. I think the magic number is 10 posts before you are allowed to rate, not positive.

Dec 10, 2009, 04:29 PM

Thanks for your help.:)
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2009, 11:30 AM

Did you ever open the fan at the bottom, or just at the ceiling?

When you reconnected the fan, did you do so with the power on?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to change ceiling fan remote batteries on a hamilton bay remote control unit [ 3 Answers ]

Before I break the darn thing, can you tell me if the back panel comes off or if I have to unscrew the top and bottom screws?

Troubleshooting for our Hampton Bay remote [ 2 Answers ]

We dropped our remote and have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan that now won't work. I tried replacing the battery and it still won't work now, any suggestions?

Ceiling Fan Troubleshooting [ 6 Answers ]

I just removed one ceiling fan w/light and replaced it with another. The new ceiling fan will not work but the attached light kit does work. They use the same power source, I don't understand what the trouble could be. The fan is a brand new lower end Hunter. Thanks for any ideas.

Remote ceiling fan troubleshooting [ 2 Answers ]

We have two identical Harbor Breeze fans with separate remotes that have been working well for past 2 years. One fan has stopped responding to remote. Remote for non functioning fan will operate second fan if dip switch setting is adjusted. Is there any other resolution than replacing...

Troubleshooting Hampton Bay remote fans [ 6 Answers ]

Hi. I have a HB remote fan. I have replaced the receiver twice already because upon installing the receiver and turning on the light/fan w the remote there has been a loud POP and the receiver smells burnt and is toast. I have appropriate voltage coming in-so can anyone help?

View more questions Search