Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    2heater Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2006, 02:59 PM
    Breaker keeps tripping
    I need to figure this out. I have two 15 amp space heaters in my garage and when I turn them both on it throws the breaker. The breaker at box for this is rated at 20amps. I have been told that I can run both on high and won't throw the breaker. I also replaced the old breaker with a new one (same brand and amps). Could you please help me with this.

Thank you

John
    omzig Posts: 119, Reputation: 19

Nov 11, 2006, 03:14 PM
    Are they both on the same circuit?

30A is supposed to trip a 20A breaker.

Nov 11, 2006, 03:26 PM
    Yes they are and how do if go about to solve this problem?

Nov 11, 2006, 03:40 PM
    Someone told you that you could use two 15A heaters on a 20A circuit?:confused:

So are these heaters cord and plug connected? 120V or 240V?

Nov 11, 2006, 03:59 PM
    They are 120v
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2006, 04:03 PM
    What is the wattage of each? Should be on the label on the unit?
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2006, 04:06 PM
    Why do you need to run 2 15 amp space heaters in one garage? You will not be able to operate them both off the same circuit you will need to find or add a second circuit. This could be easy if the panel is in the garage, TK can help you at length, but are you sure you need to?
    bharr07 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2006, 04:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 2heater
    I need to figure this out. I have two 15 amp space heaters in my garage and when i turn them both on it throws the breaker. The breaker at box for this is rated at 20amps. I have been told that i can run both on high and won't throw the breaker. I also replaced the old breaker with a new one (same brand and amps). Could you please help me with this.

thank you

John
    two 15 amp. Heater units = 30 amps , on a 20amp breaker will cause problems you need to run the units on separate dedicated curcuits , good luck
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2006, 06:03 PM
    As ceiling fan repair brought up, how much heat do you need? Maybe some caulking and insulation would be a better investment. A much better DIY project than running new circuits.

Nov 12, 2006, 02:28 PM
    The reason for having both heater's in my garage is to keep the room warm so my family can use it as a play room. Both heaters are on the same ciricut. Can you tell me how to put in another circuit.
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Nov 12, 2006, 08:41 PM
    The easy answer sometimes is not if? You are running puny extension cords but how long?
    I don't know how many times a cheap #16-3 50 ft chines extension cord can cause an extra 10-15 amps of draw. Although theoreticaly you should have a larger breaker there should be plenty of built in "extra"

TRY NO EXTENSION CORD
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2006, 09:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 2heater
    the reason for having both heater's in my garage is to keep the room warm so my family can use it as a play room. both heaters are on the same ciricut. can you tell me how to put in another circuit.

I still think you are heating much of the outdoors. To add a circuit, you fit another breaker to the breaker panel and run a new cable from it to either hardwired to the heater or to a receptacle to plug it in. You need some margin so for a 15 amp heater, run 12-2 with ground from a 20 amp breaker.

And suggesting you could run two 15 amp heaters on a 20 amp circuit if you didn't use extension cords is plain silly.

Nov 13, 2006, 12:51 AM
    They never say they are running an extension cord but always are and you know the quality most people use.. . Silly? Maybe. But line loss is a big problem. I give up! Put in another breaker. Me I would use an amp meter and measure the amp draw. Some of you experts should try it with and with out 50 ft of chinese 16 gauge extension cord you might learn something. PS 12-2 with a ground is 12-3.

Nov 13, 2006, 07:05 AM
    @newaukumdon - There is no doubt that a 16-gauge extension cord shouldn't be used with a space heater, whether it's a quality one or a cheap one. But, "line loss" as you call it, is not going to cause "an extra 10-15 amps of draw," as you said. "Line loss" would cause less current and therefore less heating performance, but more importantly the cord could overheat.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2006, 11:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by newaukumdon
    They never say they are running an extension cord but always are
    It's a vast conspiracy.

Nov 13, 2006, 12:07 PM
    When a cord heats up it loses voltage and demands more amps.. . but I am sure everyone knows that.

Nov 13, 2006, 01:21 PM
    You're right labman, I should have left this one alone. :rolleyes:
    Quote Originally Posted by newaukumdon
    When a cord heats up it loses voltage and demands more amps. . .but I am sure everyone knows that.
    This is only true for inductive loads like motors, not resistive loads like space heaters.
    kaymel2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2010, 10:02 AM
    We have our breaker box in the garage and it keeps tripping
    It seems to control the light in the garage, the dining, kitchen and family rooms
    We tried to reset but it sparked
    The weird thing is that the microwave, garbage disposal, oven, light on hood over oven, refrigerator, a computer we have in the family room works - what's the problem?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 19, 2010, 11:15 AM
    Kaymel12,

Please stop and go back to the first thing TK asked you! What is the wattage that is listed on the heater labels?

At 120 VAC and 20 Amps, the maximum wattage that can be used on a 20 amp circuit is 2400 watts.

Also, each heater requires a "Constant on rating". That means that you would multiply 15 amps, by 1.25 = 18.75 amps. This is telling you that each heater is going to draw up to 18.75 amps.

What this actually means is that only 1 heater can be used on a 20 amp circuit.

My suggestion is that you call a licensed electrician and have him submit a bid to run two independent 120 VAC 20 Amp circuits to the garage. I would also strongly suggest that the bid include an electrical permit and that the electrician applies for the bid in his name.

Part of the permit process will require an inspection. If any defects are found they will have to be repaired. If your name is on the permit, you will have to make the repairs. If the electrician obtained the permit, he / she is on the hook for the repairs.

Do not mess with the main service panel if you do not know what you are doing!
    14u2c Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2010, 04:20 PM

Run a extension to another plug in the house turn them both on if you are on another circuit it will not trip.. and just run it off that extension cord.extension cord should be 12 gauge wire.. if you are lucky one of the plugs in the garage is on a separate ciruit.. err for you ill say separate plug I don't think you know what a ciruit is. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gfci spa panel tripping [ 4 Answers ]

I just installed a spa with 4 wires. The house is old and while the neutral & ground bus bars are separate in the spa panel, they are all on the same bar in the main panel. Do I need to install a ground rod by the spa panel to keep the gfci from tripping? (instead of running the ground back to the...

Zanussi dryer tripping fuses [ 1 Answers ]

I have a zanussi condeser dryer that was working fine, but now suddenly every time I switch it on it trips the fuse box, any ideas why? Thanks Paula

Window Air Conditioner & Circuit Tripping [ 7 Answers ]

We installed a window air conditioner two days ago. Unit operated fine with no problems up until yesterday when it began tripping the circuit breaker. The unit is 120V and is the only thing plugged into the circuit (We have unplugged every other single item). The tripping of the circuit happens...

Window mount AC tripping circuit breaker [ 4 Answers ]

Hi All, I have a new air conditioner that is on it's own circuit. The breaker is new and rated at 15 amps. The air conditioner is supposed to use 15 amps at peak. I believe the wire to the outlet is rated at 15 amp. The air conditioner has it's own circuit breaker on the plug which has...

A/c power breaker tripping [ 2 Answers ]

I have dual a/c units to control the upstairs and downstairs of my residence. I have isolated my problem of no cold air to the breaker panel. I need help identifying what the possible reasons may be for the breaker tripping. There are two breakers (one coming directly from the a/c units with a...

View more questions Search