Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Glenn Posts: 48, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2004, 10:56 AM
    Washer Discharge Height
    I need confirmation on my next project.

I have to move the washer/dryer to a new location. Dryer is no problem. Water supply is not a problem, but I have no way to install a drain in the floor (I'm on a slab). I can run a 3" PVC pipe from the new location to the original drain location in a new wall I am building. The problem is that the drain line has to cross a door.

The washer seems to have plenty of "oomph" as it discharges water. Instead of having the washer drain in the wall at about 4 ft high as most are, could I have it at 7.5 ft high? I believe the washer could push the discharge water up that high. I guess I would have a tub or some sort of holding bin above the washer that the washer could discharge into. The tub would drain to the 3" PVC pipe that goes back to the original drain just on top of the door frame. This would allow the 3" PVC pipe to stay above the door before it goes down to the original drain.

I'd probably want a check valve in the washer discharge hose to prevent water from draining back into the washer (as I saw on other posts here).

Looks like it will work to me. What say you?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2004, 11:48 AM
    Re: Washer Discharge Height
    It sounds to me like it should work. You might check the instruction book for the washer if you have it, or even talk to the dealer. The other thing would be to rig up a hose or pipe from where the washer is now, as a test just to make sure.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 12, 2004, 12:20 PM
    Hey Glen, The washer pump should handle a 7 1/2' head with no problem. You have oversized the PVC pipe. At 3", 2" would handle it fine. Give your PVC a pitch of 1/4" per foot and place the check valve as close to the washer as you can. In trying to figure out the connection between the washer hose and the PVC the best I could come up with would ba a neoprene coupling with hose clamps. Good luck, Tom

Apr 12, 2004, 01:38 PM
    Thanks to both labman and speedball1 for quick replies.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks,

Glenn

Oct 2, 2004, 07:06 AM
    I just wanted to wrap up the discussion on this project. The washer discharge works great.

I put a 2" PVC pipe in the new wall, and tied it into a 3" cleanout under the kitchen sink. In the laundry room, I left a 2" elbow sticking out about 1 inch from the drywall. It is located about 6" below the ceiling. I found a "hose connector" to interface the washer discharge hose into the PVC pipe. It uses a pipe clamp to attach to the 2" PVC pipe, and has a feathered hole in the middle through which I pushed the discharge hose (pointing the hook in the discharge hose in the downstream direction). I pipe clamped the discharge hose in place. I did not install a check valve, it didn't seem necessary.

Thanks for the help.

Glenn
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 2, 2004, 07:59 AM
    If the drain is higher then the washer discharge then when the pump stops all the dirty water left in the pipe will drain back into your washer tub. For that reason I recommend that all overhead discharges have check valves installed as close to to the washer outlet as possible . However, I'm glad your present setup worked out fine for you. If we can ever be of assistance in the future please feel free to call on us.
    Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washer Discharge Problem- plus background knowledge [ 4 Answers ]

I just spent the last few hours reading all the 187 postings related to washing machine discharge overflow - but haven't quite found the answer I'm looking for. Background - 1960's concrete slab So. Calif home. 1-1/2" washing machine discharge line going to a P-trap about 18" below it (if I...

Height of drain pipe for washer [ 2 Answers ]

Sorry, but I think this may be a totally rookie question. Instead of having our washing machine discharge into a sanitary tub I added a T to the drain and made a dedicated drain for the washer. The height of the pipe was only about half of the height of the washer itself. Now, when the washer tries...

Slop sink not draining from washer discharge [ 3 Answers ]

:hi,first Time User. My Problem Is As The Title Says My Grey Water Fills The Wash Tub To The Top Then Drains Very Slowly. There is No Vent After The Trap The Run Is Very Gradual And About 8-9 Feet Long , It Drains Into The 3" Cast Iron Pipe In The Basement That All Of The Other Drains Go Into. The...

Washer discharge problems [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a clothes washer that backs up from time to time and it only has 2 feet of waste line before the trap. I just was looking at a post here that says at least 4 feet of pipe before the trap are needed. I have snaked everything out and the waste line can easily handle a garden hose...

View more questions Search