Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sink Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2009, 07:11 PM
    How do you unclog an overflow line in the bathroom sink?
    The bathroom sink has a strong odor coming from it. The drain line seems to work well but there is always standing water in the overflow hole. We don't let the water in the sink get high enough for the overflow to have to take on the excess but somehow water always seems to be there. I've tried to soak up the water with a wick but then it will be back in a few days. I think the odor is coming from the overflow but am not sure. You can turn on the water in the sink and the smell hits you hard. The sink is at least 30 years old. I have put drain cleaner down the overflow hole and have also put down clorox. Any suggestions?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 3, 2009, 07:15 PM

You can get mildew growing inside the overflow vent, it's a semi closed chamber nice and dark and wet. If you close the drain stopper and turn on the water do you get the same strong odor?
    sink Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2009, 07:40 PM

When I turn on the water with the drain plugged and let it fill into the sink, I do not smell anything.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 6, 2009, 10:18 PM

It looks like your sink drain assembly is not for sinks with overflow ( no oveflow holes in the drain ). Water has no place to go and after few days will starts smelling...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New bathroom sink backs up halfway, quickly drains, repeat.. no overflow in this sink [ 2 Answers ]

I just very proudly finished installing our new second floor bathroom sink drains. Two different vanities, two different walls. I ran the water steadily in both of them for 10 minutes. One works fine. The other backs up about halfway up the bowl, then suddenly quickly drains everything and...

Hot water line in bathroom sink rattles [ 1 Answers ]

The city had to turn off the water at the valve on the curb. After turning it back on, our hot water tap at the sink in the bathroom rattles loudly when turned on. How do I stop this from happening?

I need to temporarily cap hot water line to bathroom sink [ 7 Answers ]

I'm remodeling a small, basement bathroom, and I want to remove sink and toilet first. However, only the cold-water line has it's own turn-off valve. To turn the hot-water line off, I have to turn off the hot water to our primary bathroom directly above it on the first floor. Can I temporarily...

No overflow bathroom sink [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I recently installed a bathroom sink. This one has no hole for the overflow, and no holes for the faucets so basically only one hole for the drain. Is there a specific way to do this type of plumbing since the water takes a very long time to go down.

Rusty bathroom sink overflow [ 3 Answers ]

My bathroom sink is draining very poorly. I snaked out the pipe, but found no clog. A plumber came for the same problem about a year ago and blamed it partly on our sinks overflow being very rusty and interfering with proper venting of the sink. Does this sound right and can the overflow be...

View more questions Search