Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Glenn Posts: 48, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2004, 07:33 AM
    Washer Supply Distance
    Hi again.

I'm putting a new washing machine in my bedroom. I'll be tapping into the bathroom supply for hot and cold water. The bathroom is on the 3rd floor, the water heater is on the 1st floor, and it takes a long time (45-60 seconds) for hot water to start coming out of the sink.

Here's the question. Does the washing machine test the temperature of the hot water coming in before it starts the wash cycle? IOW, does it run the hot water through the washer until it detects the temperature is up to some preset level, and then start the wash cycle?

Thanks again.

Glenn
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2004, 10:33 AM
    Re: Washer Supply Distance
    I think the only sensor is the water level. There are 2 electrically controlled valves. For hot, cold, and warm, the hot, cold, or both valves open until the sensor shuts off the water when the tub is full. If the first incoming water isn't hot, you will end up with not quite as hot of water in the washer. I doubt it will be big problem. We have much the same problem. Our hot water heater is at the far corner of the house from most of the points of use.

If it is a problem,you might look at the booster heaters often used with dishwashers or a point of use heater.

A cheaper solution might be to run some hot water in the bathroom before running critical lods of washing.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 2, 2004, 04:03 PM
    Re: Washer Supply Distance
    Labmans last sentence gave you a easy fix. Just run the hot water in the bathroom  untill  it runs hot.  the only other solution , besides adding a "kicker heater", would be to run a 1/2" recirculating line. That way you would always  have hot water on tap.
    Good luck, Tom,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

LP tank distance? [ 2 Answers ]

How close can your meter and your Service entrance be located? My plumber mentioned ten feet.. Can I bury the tank and it make a difference? Do you measure from the valve to the bottom of the meter?

Critical Distance is Pipe Length or Literal Distance? [ 2 Answers ]

Is critical distance measurement based on the literal distance from a trap to the vent stack, or the total length pipe from the trap to the vent? In other words, if the trap is 4 feet from the vent, but the drain pipe from the trap to the branch that has the vent connected to it is 10 feet, is the...

Distance [ 4 Answers ]

Hey all, it's me again. Has been a busy life since I was last on here so... with that said. Ever since me and the girl I was seeing broke up in late July... I educated myself on relationships and dating. I pretty much was a date-a-holic... and I eventually got tired of what I was doing because...

Help after long distance [ 1 Answers ]

I desperatly need some advice. Im a 24 year old guy and I'm feeling really confused right now. I was in a relationship for 6 years with my last girlfriend, things were great but half way into it I really started to doubt my love for her. My parents were going through a really bad patch at the...

AT & T Long Distance [ 0 Answers ]

I think I'm ready to notify AT & T that we no longer want them as our long distance carrier. I've read and heard some nasty tales about AT & T. With this in mind, what's the best way to proceed? Also, should my letter be sent to their Avenue of the Americas address? Yes, I'm probably overly...

View more questions Search