Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DustinBH Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2009, 03:12 PM
    Blower Affecting gas flames
    Trane (Model # N/A, built 2/1987) HVAC System with natural gas with pilot light furnace inside and air conditioning unit outside.

Hello all, I tried a search but not quite the correct answers in any of them for this problem. I had to replace my blower motor today and I believe this problem was existing before but as I became more intimately familiar with the furnace over the last couple of days I really noticed it today. My blower turns on for approximately 20-30 seconds and off again for 20-30 seconds in auto. It will stay on in on of course but I checked the temp limit switch on both settings and it continually drops in both so in auto it kicks on and off and in on mode it blows out cooler air into the house never quite heating well. The ignition system has 3 rows of flames that light up when heat is selected, I noticed when the blower kicks on the middle row is drastically reduced due to the blower fan air hitting it (bad enough to put out the pilot light when it wasn't igniting).

I have read that this is because the heat exchanger is no longer working correctly, is this the case? I am thinking that maybe when he replaced the blower after the motor change that there is a gap but I am pretty sure this was happening before today. Please help, I will try to answer questions as best I can but I cannot find the model number as the section it was printed on has worn away. Thank you.
    DustinBH Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2009, 04:32 PM
    One thing after some research I found that my Fan Limit Switch setting were: Off-140; On-150; Limit-~200, so I adjusted to the most common ranges I have found: Off-80; On-140; Limit-~200
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 2, 2009, 04:55 PM

This is a clear case of a bad heat exchanger. Do not use furnace at all until you have a pro into check system. Using furnace in current state can cuase carbon monoxide(which can be deadly) to enter the home.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2009, 05:01 PM
    Indeed, classic symptom of a failed heat exchanger.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Converting lp gas water heater to natural gas [ 3 Answers ]

Is it possible to convert a lp gas water to a natural gas water heater or will I need to get a new heater?

Blower is not turning on with central gas heat [ 1 Answers ]

I noticed a burning smell coming out of the air ducts. We turned the heat off. When we tried to turn the heat back on the heat ignited in the furnace but the blower never turned on after about 1-2 minutes the heat turned off. We noticed the burning smell again. If I turn the blower to on, on the...

Gas oven smells of gas [ 1 Answers ]

I have used gas ovens before but I don't remember them smelling as strongly of gas as the one I have now. It doesn't smell like gas when it is off but when I have the oven on it smells pretty strong for most of the time that it is on. Is this normal or is replacement needed soon?

Flames on and off [ 0 Answers ]

I have a Armstrong Ultra sx 80 furnace. The flames kick on , run for a while shut off, them kick back on again. This happens over and over until it reaches the correct temp. The fan motor runs through the whole cycle then shuts off like normal. It concerns me that the flames go on and off like they...

Furnace flames out when blower comes on [ 1 Answers ]

I have a evcon mobile home furnace new dgaa070bdtb flames out when blower comes on

View more questions Search