Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crazyredhedchick Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2009, 05:30 AM
    Unusual cat behaviour
    I have a year old male cat - he is normally quite an independent cat, but very affectionate. I moved house 6 months ago, and he seemed to settle in well.
    The past week he has been doing some really weird things - meowing REALLY loudly (he is part siamese, so I am used to pretty loud and persistent meowing but this is 4/5 times worse than normal) and constantly, day and night, he is constantly hungry, no matter how much I feed him, he has started spraying (he isn't neutured, and I'm not sure if this is natural or a symptom of the problem at hand), and this morning he totally freaked me out - he has been mewing constantly since about 6 this morning, and nothing I do makes any difference - normally he'll jump onto my lap, purr a bit and then fall asleep, but today, he won't let me near him, and basically I thought perhaps he needed some "safe space" on his own, so closed all the doors and left him in "his place". A little while after I'd done this, his mewing got worse so I went to him and found him literally trying to climb the walls - my bedroom door has a window thing at the top, and he had managed to climb up to this and was clinging on - as soon as he saw me he jumped down and ran away. I've made sure he has food, water and a clean litter tray, but he is starting to really worry me - vets say nothing is wrong but there is something wrong with him - he is being aggressive to me which has never happened before! Someone please help! Worried sick and don't know what to do for him
    tany072075 Posts: 57, Reputation: 4

Nov 28, 2009, 06:22 AM

Definitely not being neutered is part of this problem. Male cats that are not neutered before 6-8 months of age will usually start spraying.As for the constant meowing, and this is just a thought, is there any possibility there could be a female cat in heat roaming around your house? It just seems like a bit of a coincidence. And animals will act very strange in that situation.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Nov 28, 2009, 10:06 PM

Quite personally, I don't consider an unneutered male cat to even be a pet. They basically want one thing. They'll start spraying, they usually want outside pretty badly (and I hope you're not letting him out to make more strays), and yup, any time a female is around they'll react, especially one in heat!

I can't believe the vet didn't say something about this. That's a bit ignorant for a vet.

Even if there's another problem, get him neutered anyway. And it might solve the problem as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Violent cat behavior [ 1 Answers ]

I have an SPCA rescued cat that is male and 7 years old his name is Loki. He has always been very aggressive. Three years ago when I got Loki from the SPCA he was looking for attention rubbing around my legs getting on my lap but when petted he would suddely tense up and lash out with claws and...

Worried about my cat [ 2 Answers ]

I think my cat may be pregnant but she has had really bad diarroah off and on for the last week anybody have an idea what it could be :confused:

Traumatized cat [ 1 Answers ]

My cat got out of our house and we could not get her. We chased her for an hour around the house and could not catch her. We gave up and went inside. Later that night the door was open and we hear a loud terrifying screech. We went outside and the cat was sitting there just hissing. She ran up a...

Dachshunds unusual behaviour [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 4 month old dachshund,she seems to have taken to me but she really doesn't like my wife at all.when my wife goes near her she runs off and stays in her bed,or stays at the other side of the room,and won't look at her,or come near her .I do all the checking if she's done wrong,my wife...

Unusual Cat Behaviour [ 12 Answers ]

Well, this is an interesting predicament. I have 3 cats, 2 girls and 1 boy. They are all slightly over a year old. I have had each of them since they were about 3 months, and they have always gotten along fine. They play, and eat, and sleep together, everything. However, last night, the...

View more questions Search