Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jomun55 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2009, 04:03 PM
    Why do I have to keep pushing the reset button on my gas furnace
    We keep the themostat of our natural gas forced air furnace at about 60 degrees and supplement our hesat with an infared heater. Once in a great while we have to push the reset button for the furnace to ignite when turning up the thermostat. This week alone we have had to push the reset button 4 time, twice just today after getting home from work. We raised the thermostate to 68 degrees to warm the house before showering. The furnace ran, warmed the house to about 61 degrees and shut off. We had to push the reset again, the furnace has been running several minutes now and is heating up the house. We install a clean funace filter 2 times a year. We just put a new filter in last week.

Is there something else that we need to clean? Or is a part starting to wear out? The furnace is about 19 or 20 years old but we have never had a problem with it. Any help in understanding why the reset keeps popping would me much appreciated.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2009, 04:09 PM

Brand/model#? Where is "reset" located?
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2009, 04:10 PM

By reset I guess you mean the red buton on the baso valve going to the piolit lite?
    Or do you mean you are just reseting it with the on and off switch?
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2009, 04:24 PM
    Reset(s)... like any of these?
    Attached Images

jomun55 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2009, 07:43 AM

The furnace is a Rheem 128,000 BTU. The 2nd picture shows the reset button, we have to push down the little black button inside the top black knob.
    Any help will be much appreciated.
    Thanks, Jodi

Name:  IMG_0001a.jpg
Views: 14840
Size:  70.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0002.jpg
Views: 10913
Size:  78.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0003.jpg
Views: 14963
Size:  90.8 KB
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 28, 2009, 09:02 AM
    Flame rollout safety switch problem.

Could be blocked or restricted flue/chimney

Control itself could be defective or out of range.

If unable to locate exact problem I suggest the service of a local on site inspection by a qualified HVAC contractor since it could be a more serious condition.

PS from the looks of it this unit has not been serviced for a long time and the burner tops are probably full of dirt and byproducts of combustion. A full professional cleaning of the combustion area is called for and that may also cause the flame rollout condition.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reset button [ 1 Answers ]

I was replacing the front cover and touched a wire and got a spark then the air or heater fan would not work the unit is a carrier without a pilot light it has the glow light I am trying to find the reset button please help

My doorbell won't ring when pushing button [ 11 Answers ]

I recently took off outside button for the doorbell because it was broke. I bought a new one and it didn't work. There are 2 wires outside and I know they are low voltage when I touch them together I see a little spark so the transformer is working? Am a G.C. but I am stumped do I need to change...

Intertherm electric furnace--is there a reset button anywhere? [ 4 Answers ]

My furnace quit working after a power outtage and I have tried and re-tried tripping and re-setting all the breakers a couple of times. I have shut all the buttons on the furnace off and back on as well. My question is this: Is there a reset button on it somewhere? :confused: I have been...

Gas Furnace needs reset button pushed to work [ 1 Answers ]

1983 - Natural Gas - Rheem Furnace Model #RCDA-100C-ER Originally the furnace blower would not come on. I called a technician who pushed a reset button. He mentioned something about the air fuel mixture and that a gust of wind could have tripped the furnace off. Pushing the button worked for...

Reset button keeps needing to be reset [ 2 Answers ]

The reset button on our oil furnace needs to be reset every 10 to 14 days. What can be the problem? We are leaving for the holidays and I'm concerned that we could come home to frozen pipes.

View more questions Search