Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jugrnaut69 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2009, 10:08 AM
    Pipe Dope recommendations
    Can anyone recommend a good quality PIPE Dope or Joint Compound for Threaded Black Iron Gas Pipe?

I know I need to use a good quality product, so I need to know what is the best brand that I can find at a local home improvement store.
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Nov 23, 2009, 10:52 AM
    Hi jugrnaut69

Pro dope is a good one, but if you're really going to use the black pipe for gas line use the Multipurpose Heavy Tape Dope.

Might have better luck finding these at your local plumber's supply.

Pro Dope is 'bout half way down, the tape below that
    Thread Sealants

Nov 23, 2009, 11:01 AM

Thank You for your response.

I am replacing a gas valve, and the existing gas line is a threaded iron or steel pipe. Honewell stated not to use any Teflon Tape, but rather a high quality pipe compound.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 23, 2009, 11:15 AM
    Pipe dope is actually a lubricant more than a sealer. It lubricates the threads so the pipe and fitting go together easier allowing the tapered threads a better seal. Honeywell does not want Teflon Tape used because it can break off and get into the gas valve and also because it is to slick and will allow the black iron gas pipe to thread into the fitting to far causing the cast aluminum to possibly rupture or crack. Stick with any good quality liquid pipe dope. Rectorseal number 5 has always been a quality pipe dope and the can lid has a brush for application. Do not allow the dope to go over the outer end of the pipe since it is only used to lubricate the threads. Tighten but do not use a bunch of force or problems can happen.

Rector Seal - The Name You've Trusted for Years

Nov 23, 2009, 11:26 AM

Thanks So much again for the recommendations.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pipe Dope on faucet seat/ [ 11 Answers ]

I have replaced a shower faucet's washer and seat twice but the faucet still leaks a bit. Someone suggested "pipe dope' should be applied to the threads of the seat since the valve body threads may be deteriorating and that is where the leak is coming from. In addition to the new washer and...

Teflon or Pipe Dope for 1 1/4" Water Pipe [ 7 Answers ]

I am building a project that uses several joints of 1 1/4 " galvanized pipe, including elbows and Tee's. The unit will be plumbed into my 50 psi water system. What is the best way to seal the pipe joints? I have assembled the unit and tested using teflon pipe dope and had several leaks.

Sealant (pipe dope) on faces of union [ 3 Answers ]

I have a union that I just can't get to seal. The fluid in the pipe is off-road diesel fuel. The pressure is less than 50 psi. The fitting is a 1-1/2 npt iron union with a brass face. I'm getting desperate. I'm thinking about disassembling it (yet again... ), drying it off, and applying a...

Would like some recommendations [ 1 Answers ]

My major project for our plant shutdown is to completely rebuild my LAN. I'm currently using 4 ageing 24 port Cisco 400 series Fasthubs. These deal with all of my LAN traffic all server, printer and workstations. What I was thinking of doing is installing a 16 port Gig switch in each of my two...

New release DVD's recommendations [ 8 Answers ]

Guys, I need some ideas of New Release DVD's to buy any ideas ? I've got King Kong and Harry Potter, but any others that are worth a punt.

View more questions Search