Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jessie06 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2009, 08:07 PM
    Just found out I have HVP !
    First of all, I am very scared and feared for my life. I have made a bunch of mistakes in my life, all of them leading up to this. I know I need to tell this guy I have been seeing, but I cannot bring myself to do it. I have never in a million years have had to tell someone I gave them a std. When I was 16 years old I was raped, and when I went to the doctor I found out the guy gave me chylmida and trich. After that I was pretty traumtized about stds, and was always going to the doctor to be checked. Now I just went to the doctor for test results, I was so worried about curable stds and HIV, and I was happy not to have those things, and the doctor informed me with I was HVP POISTIVE ! I always thought this was cancer, and on top of that. I am at high risk for cervical cancer. This all is a smack in the face. I don't even know who would have gaven it to me, not to metion why someone couldn't tell me they did give it to me. When I was younger I made a lot of mistakes, I've dealt with addiction all my life, but this past year I haven't had sex in months, and I finially decieded it was time, being the dumb adult I am I agreed to use no portection. And now... I don't know how I am going to confess up to this. He is wondering why I cannot answer the phone and talk to him. I need advice right now, advice on what to say, and advice on my hopes for this. I am scared. Very very in fear for my life.
    aldepone Posts: 13, Reputation: -1

Nov 23, 2009, 06:08 PM

there is no way to detect HPV in men. So whoever gave it to you probably didn't know. I don't know? Sorry I'm not much help =( just letting u know whether you tell the guy you slept with, he can't do anything about it (get tested I mean... so its like hed never know.. and he might have even had it before you slept together!)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 23, 2009, 07:09 PM
    Genital human papillomavirus (HPV) is the most common sexually transmitted infection (STI). The virus infects the skin and mucous membranes. There are more than 40 HPV types that can infect the genital areas of men and women, including the skin of the penis, vulva (area outside the vagina), and anus, and the linings of the vagina, cervix, and rectum. You cannot see HPV. Most people who become infected with HPV do not even know they have it.
    sometimes, certain types of HPV can cause genital warts in men and women.
    Please see this link... STD Facts - Human papillomavirus (HPV)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 23, 2009, 07:48 PM

Let me see, someone you are suppose to care about, someone you may say you love? And you care so little for them that you can't tell them to be tested??

Nov 23, 2009, 08:22 PM

J_9:
    I can't figure out how or if I even can reply to your comment. But it actually is medically correct.

"Can my male partner get tested for HPV?

Right now, there is no HPV test for men. HPV is just as common in men as in women, but its health complications tend to be more serious in women. The types of HPV that put you at risk for cervical cancer rarely cause health problems for most men. "

Common Questions about HPV and Cervical Cancer
    Expert

Nov 23, 2009, 08:30 PM
    I repeat...

There are more than 40 HPV types that can infect the genital areas of men and women, including the skin of the penis, vulva (area outside the vagina), and anus, and the linings of the vagina, cervix, and rectum.
    As a women's health nurse, I advise people on this issue frequently.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2009, 08:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by aldepone View Post
    J_9:
    I can't figure out how or if I even can reply to your comment. But it actually is medically correct.

Right now, there is no HPV test for men. HPV is just as common in men as in women, but its health complications tend to be more serious in women. The types of HPV that put you at risk for cervical cancer rarely cause health problems for most men. "

This is TWICE you have given incorrect, supposed "medical", advice . Unless you are a MD, you need not give advice, or definitive answers to the OP that are WRONG. Yes, there is no FDA approved test for HPV, but there are indeed tests that can be done as to tell if the person has a positive case of HPV. Vinegar and water is one, and a visual inspection is another. If this guy has visible genital warts on his anus, and penis area, that in itself is a test.

We should watch how we give "definitive" answers to people who come to this site.
    Expert

Nov 23, 2009, 08:57 PM
    JMJ, had to spread the love, but the word you used "definitive" is the best response.

Since there are over 40 different types of HPV, it is possible for a man to be tested. Primarily if he has open and obvious lesions. This is one reason that not only women, but men as well, take Valtrex.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 23, 2009, 09:27 PM
    J_9:

You forgot the rest of that quote;

There is no test yet for men to find out if they have HPV. But the most common health problem caused by HPV in men is genital warts. And the type of HPV found on your HPV test does not cause genital warts.

Nov 24, 2009, 03:48 PM

Ok, first off, I wasn't "giving medical advice."

And second, I posted a frickin link to the cdc.gov. and it says it right there: "no test yet for men to find out if they have HPV"

Yeah, you can look all you want, but just because you don't see anything doesn't mean he doesn't have it. So, no, that's not a reliable or valid test.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2009, 04:07 PM
    Ok, first off, i wasn't "giving medical advice."

And second, i posted a frickin link to the cdc.gov. and it says it right there: "no test yet for men to find out if they have HPV"

Yeah, you can look all you want, but just because you don't see anything doesn't mean he doesn't have it. So, no, that's not a reliable or valid test.
    "But the most common health problem caused by HPV in men is genital warts."

This is in itself better than saying there is NOTHING.

AMHD is NOT the CDC. We don't give answers like that here.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Nov 24, 2009, 04:13 PM

You're all arguing about whether there is a test.

You're NOT answering the question on how to tell her boyfriend.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Something found [ 14 Answers ]

What do you do when you snoop ( whether right or wrong), and find something suspiscious. But you care for the person and am not sure how to approach it being that you would have to admit that you were snooping. Also, the person has an idea that you snooped but is not mentioning anything. Some...

Bug I found [ 1 Answers ]

I found a large 10 legged bug in my house. It was the color of sand and had two large pinchers in the front. It looked like a huge ant. It was about and inch in length. I tried to squash it but it wouldn't die. It finally did die after I had smacked it over and over with a shoe and squashed its...

Found the actually verse of the song, but still haven't found the name =[ [ 1 Answers ]

I found one verse of the song I've been looking for ! :) But still haven't found the song!! :mad: :( :confused: Here's the verse: "cause im mr mr lonely open up the door what did i see my baby with another man right infront of me"

I found this [ 1 Answers ]

I found a pill that is white and has L484 on it I was wondering if you could tell me what it is because I found it on the floor and I have small children

View more questions Search