Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sarah1004 Posts: 107, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2009, 11:27 PM
    write balanced chemical equation for the reaction, I did it! But i am not sure.
    write the balanced chemical equation for the reaction of Fe2+ with MnO4- in acidic solution.

I did it , but I am not sure. Please check it for me

H^+ + MnO4^- + Fe2+ ---------------> Mn2+ + Fe3+ + H2O
    pramod awasthi Posts: 29, Reputation: -1

Nov 18, 2009, 05:31 AM
    Ok I am trying
    I think it can solve by ion electron method so note that steps
    divide reaction in half reduction and half oxidation reaction

MnO4^- + H^+ +Fe^2+ ============> Mn^+2 +Fe^+3 +H2O
    and note balance reacton dear its long method sorry ;)
    MnO4^- +8H^+ +5Fe^+2==========>Mn^+2 +5Fe^+3 + 4H2O

I think u can understand my problem dear it is right
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Pramod awasthi
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2009, 06:08 AM

I'll show you the way I do it:

Write the first ionic equation occuring: oxidation of Fe (II) to Fe (III)

Now the second equation occurring: reduction of MnO4^- to Mn^2+

(that you have to balance)

Now, ensure that there is an equal amount of electrons in both equations. For that, multiply each term in the first equation by 5:

Now add both, crossing out the terms appearing on both sides of the equation:

Lastly, check if all is right. Yes, it is :)
    sarah1004 Posts: 107, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2009, 05:58 PM
    Thanks~~
    how about this one?
    Fe^2+ + Cr2O7^2- -------------> Fe^3+ + Cr^3+
    I did it...
    6Fe^2+ + Cr2O7^2- + 14H^+ -------------> 6Fe^3+ + 2Cr^3+ + 7H2O
    I hope it is corret..

when a 0.8g sample of an unknown Fe^2+ salt is titrated with 0.0285M K2Cr2O7, it is found that 59.2mL of this dichromate solution are required to reach the endpoint. Calculate the percent iron in the unknown using the balanced equation in 6Fe^2+ + Cr2O7^2- + 14H^+ -------------> 6Fe^3+ + 2Cr^3+ + 7H2O.

how can I find percent iron ?

please help me Thanks
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2009, 08:34 AM

Yes, it is correct :)

1. Find the number of moles of potassium dichromate reacting, using concentration and volume.
    2. Use your equation to deduce the number of moles of iron (II) that reacted.
    3. Find the mass of that amount of iron (II)
    4. Divide the mass of iron (II) by the mass of iron sample, multiplied by 100% to get the percentage iron. (It's the fraction of iron (II) in that sample, converted to percentage)

Pramod, I use the LaTeX facility of the forum, click on the quote button and you'll see that I used the 'math' tabs, together with some functional codes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Write a balanced reaction between Ba(OH)2 and H2SO4. [ 6 Answers ]

write a balanced reaction between Ba(OH)2 and H2SO4. ----> Ba(OH)2(aq) + H2SO4(aq) => BaSO4(s) + 2H2O(l) explain the observed changes in conductivity. ----> H2SO4-strong conductivity. Ba(OH)2-weak conductivity. Please check these answers are correct or not , if not please explain for me ...

Write a complete balanced skeleton chemical reaction equation from words [ 1 Answers ]

1.) Tin foil will oxidize when exposed to oxygen forming tin (II) oxide. 2.) When solid potassium is added to water, hydrogen gas and aqueous potassium hydroxide are produced. 3.) Solid calcium hydrogen carbonate reacts with hydrochloric acid to produce aqueous calcium chloride, water, and carbon...

Writing a balanced equation for the following reaction description. [ 6 Answers ]

I am having trouble balancing the equation for the following. also which reaction are they. - An aqueous solution of lead(II) nitrate is mixed with aqueous sodium phosphate to produce solid lead(II) phosphate and aqueous sodium nitrate. - Gallium metal heated in oxygen gas forms solid...

Write a balanced chemical equation for: potassium oxide+ water= potassium hydroxide [ 1 Answers ]

write a balanced chemical equation for: potassium oxide+ water= potassium hydroxide

View more questions Search