Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Frustrated1219 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2009, 10:40 AM
    Confused and frustrated about my daughters sleeping habits
    My daughter will be 2 years old in Dec. My husband and I have been trying to get her to sleep in her own bed for the last 2 months. For some reason at 2 AM every morning she comes and gets in the bed with us. Yes, it's mostly my fault because I keep letting her get in our bed. So how do I stand up to her and let her know she is to big to sleep in our bed, and that she needs to start sleeping in he own bed like a big girl should?:confused:
    Mistique Posts: 145, Reputation: 11

Nov 17, 2009, 10:53 AM

Redirect her to her room, ensure her that you are down the hall (safe, secure and always available - I leave my door open) and find things that make her comfortable (my daughter sleeps with ALL her stuffed animals, pillows, blankets, door closed and night light on). Also the regular habits such as pajama/brushing teeth or a nice bath, glass of milk before bed, tucking her in (not sending her to bed alone - which you probably do not do), I play flash card games, say prayer (if your not religious then don't bother on this point), read a story, sing twinkle twinkle little star and then read a very short story about bedtime. These are the triggers for bed and she never wakes me up unless she is unwell or needs to use the bathroom. Try to keep the liquids down after 8 p.m.

During the day, make sure she is active and eating sufficiently. That's about all you can do... be consistent in redirecting her and keep it positive "wow your a big girl"... decorate her room... personalize it so she wants to be there? Just be consistent, firm but loving and caring... eventually she will adjust. Both my children sleep in their own beds... but sometimes I sleep with them in theirs :).

I am sure your doing this... no worries... just keep it consistent :)

Good luck!
    ChildOfGod_1 Posts: 60, Reputation: 8

Nov 17, 2009, 10:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistique View Post
    During the day, make sure she is active and eating sufficiently. That's about all you can do...be consistent in redirecting her and keep it positive "wow your a big girl"...decorate her room...personalize it so she wants to be there? Just be consistent, firm but loving and caring...eventually she will adjust. Both my children sleep in their own beds...but sometimes I sleep with them in theirs :).
    That was a very nice point. Apart from showing her love, giving her confidence etc etc etc, the most important point is to keep her very very active during the day, so that at night she'll just feel very tired to get to bed, and sleep like a log till dawn. It might not work out initially, but if you keep doing this, eventually she will get into a sleep cycle, and your problem will be solved.
    smileup Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Nov 20, 2009, 01:22 PM

You should join & post your ? On mamasource.com. A friend of mine who is a new Mom loves this site to get advise from other moms.
    brid09xx Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2009, 02:08 PM
    Hi my sister did the same thing with her daughter.. she used a reward chart and gold stars and if her daughter slept in her own bed for the whole week she got a reward for it.. At first she used to get up and go into their bed but my sister would get up and bring her back to her own bed give her a kiss and a cuddle and tuck her back in.. The first night she had to get up more than once but after about a week she got the idea and stayed in her own bed.. Hope this helps good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Confused and frustrated. [ 1 Answers ]

My period is almost three weeks late. Two negative pregnancy tests. Showing several symptoms of pregnancy. Headache, serious fatigue, nausea, slight breast tenderness, moodiness. AM I PREGNANT OR NOT? AND IF YES, WHY ARE THE TESTS COMING BACK NEGATIVE?! I took the first one when I was already a...

1/2 custdody father sleeping with 9 and 7 yo daughters [ 10 Answers ]

I am in a relationship with a woman who has 2 daughters 9 and 7 , there is a lot of tension between the adults and not much comunication. But what I am asking about is that he has a house with other bed rooms for the girls and yet they sleep in the same bed. The other night the older daughter...

View more questions Search