Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vedwed Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2009, 09:13 PM
    AC comes on when heat is turned on. Sometimes nothing comes on
    My heat and AC seem to be confused.

I have a Rheem AC and furnace, the AC worked great this summer, and my heat was working until today. I turned the heater on, and the AC unit outside came on and the air was freezing cold. I turned it off and back on and nothing comes on. I turned the t-stat to cool and set a temp to the displayed tem on the T-stat, and the heater comes on. Switched the t-stat to off, and took almost 20 minutes before anything turned off. Tried the same steps again, and only AC comes on in either heat or cool setting. I have no clue about electronics, or hvac technology, so I do not know anything more than what the t-stat says.
    I really appreciate any advice that can be given. Thanks much.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2009, 09:35 PM
    Is your heat electric or gas? Model number of furnace and thermostat would help

Nov 14, 2009, 09:43 PM

The furnace is Rheem Criterion2, AC unit is Rheem classic RAMB 030JAZ, thermostat is a white one with no numbers on it, it has programmable feature, and I can open the door and pull off the panel that has the display and buttons. I know nothing about these things, sorry for my ignorance.

Nov 14, 2009, 09:50 PM

Sorry, it is a gas furnace
    Acesarewild Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Nov 14, 2009, 10:29 PM
    Yeah, sorry, I can't really put my finger on what's causing it.

A good informative source I use is this handyman site, which has a section on AC units, where you'll find a text-link ad that gives up to four free estimates prepared fast by local AC contractors in your area (scroll down to the middle somewhat to see the text-link towards the middle of the page):

Central Air Conditioners ~ Your Handyman Zone :: Hammer it Out in the Zone ~ Home Improvement Zone...Cooling and Ventilation Systems Category

Click on the "Find A/C Contractors. Get Up to 4 Quotes Now...Free" text link. Since really everyone is clueless on here, and you can't go without heat, much less get a new AC unit, your best bet is to get an AC contractor out there to service your unit, and the best way to avoid getting ripped off is to get concrete estimates.

Good luck!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2009, 11:32 PM

Yes, it does sound confusing.

Thermostats do have what's called "anti-short cycling delays". What this means is, that the outside unit cannot come on unless it has been off for a certain amount of time. That delay is between 2 and 5 minutes.

Isolating the faulty component will be tough.

Nov 15, 2009, 12:46 AM

Well what I meant is that when I turn it off, it takes almost 20 minutes before the AC unit outside actually stops making noise and blowing air in the house, the AC comes on right away when I turn on the heat or air. Also it is hard for me to find a model number for my furnace, as it is in my crawlspace in my ceiling. I am going up there again tomorrow, where would I find status lights if this unit has them?

Nov 15, 2009, 12:48 AM
    Another question, I have noticed that when I turn on the heat, the AC unit outside kicks on, this did not used to happen.
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2009, 01:08 AM

It's almost like its acting as a heat pump or dual fuel system.

It would be interesting to know what terminal designations the thermostat has. i.e. Does it have an O or B? ---> Heat pump

What could be happening is that a relay is sticking somewhere.

The one that seems likely is the one outside. Pull the disconnect outside. This usually means opening the box on the wall and turning the pull out switch upside down. If that's not there, then kill the breaker for just the outside unit. You'll likely have heat.

At this point, I THINK the problem is outside.

Nov 15, 2009, 01:50 AM

First time the ac came on when I turned on the heat I immediately turned the AC off at the breaker, nothing came on, stopped messing with it, and the air started blowing, but not hot or cold, just felt like it was pushing room temperature air through the house. I tired again about 45 minutes later with the breaker back on, and the only consistance is that no matter if I have the thermostat on heat, cool, or auto, the AC comes on.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2009, 07:21 AM
    Sounds like a really wacky thermostat, or damaged control wire, most likely somewhere between the furnace and thermostat. Trace the visible/exposed section of the wire looking for pinches, breaks, or melted areas.

Nov 15, 2009, 08:44 PM

Yellow, white and red look burnt on the tstat end, where they screw in.

Nov 15, 2009, 08:45 PM
    But the green in the middle is not burnt at all
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2009, 09:49 PM

You said gas, so it should not have O or B terminals.

R -
    W - Heat
    Y - Cool
    G - Fan

Mark the tstat wires, take them off completely, and make the connections with power off and try the following:

R to G; Only the fan should come on
    R to Y; Only the outside unit should come on
    R to W; the fan and heater should come on

(C) if present, is optional (tape up)

The terminals should not be burnt. If it passes the above tests, then the tstat is bad.

DO you have any additional terminals besides R,G,Y,W, optional C.

R can be R&Rc or Rc/Rh

If you haven't figured it out, R (Red), W (White), Y (Yellow), G (Green)

C - often blue

Nov 15, 2009, 10:52 PM

There are spots for rc/rh but no wires. The tstat face comes off and the wires unscrew from speaker-like connectors, they are burnt on the bare wire there also, I have not tested your above post yet, but the AC outside comes on no matter heat/cool.fan setting. I will try what you have posted now.

Nov 15, 2009, 11:04 PM

Here is what I mean, because I don't think I explained it well
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2009, 03:55 AM
    They do look burned... has this house been ablaze before? Perhaps the wire is melted somewhere. Try pulling the wire out of the hole in the wall.

Nov 16, 2009, 11:13 AM

No, this house has never been on fire. And a little further back, about 3/4 inch at most the wire is in a casing, kind of like a phone wire, or a cat-5 cable. The only damage to the wire is in the picture, fine at the AC outside, and fine at the furnace in the ceiling.
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2009, 12:09 PM

I'm wondering if the black could be leftover adhesive from electrical tape used in pulling the wires.

Nov 16, 2009, 12:34 PM

There are the same terminals on the other side of the picture above, can these be used instead? I will go get a picture because I think they may be labeled slightly different

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat keeps running even after thermostat turned down or off. [ 3 Answers ]

For a couple of winters now, my furnace will not turn off all the time when I turn the thermostat down or it will just keep running forever above the set termostat temperature. The airconditioner works fine with the thermostat. The thermostat was replaced last year to see if that would solve the...

What will make a dryer heat up when it is not used or turned on? [ 1 Answers ]

My dryer has not been used in 2 days because it was so hot you couldn't touch it. So, My fiancé unplugged it for a day and a half. He plugged it back in today and not 20 min. after it was warming up? Does anyone know what it wrong with it?

Ac not cooling was fine until daughter turned on heat [ 2 Answers ]

My ac unit stopped working. It ran fine, and cooled great until my daughter for whatever reason, turned on the heat. I told her to turn it off, and cut the ac back on, and she flipped the thermostat directly from heat to cool. The ac has not worked since. The blower in the air handler comes on, and...

Heat works well only when turned up about 8 degrees [ 1 Answers ]

My heat only works when I turn it up and then later it runs and runs, it hardly ever turns off. It doesn't stay at the same temperature as it is on the thermostat. It is like it will not catch up unless I turn it up about 8 degrees and then the emr and aux light comes on. Is this normal or do I...

Burner does not fire up when heat turned on [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Lennox Furnace, when you switch on the thermostat to heat and adjust the temp. accordingly, the burner does not ignite. Pilot flame is working, fan works. But no flame on the burner. Here is how the thermostat is wired (Is it right? ) RC- blue wire, G- black wire Y- red wire W-...

View more questions Search