Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    patjohnston Posts: 44, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2009, 07:19 PM
    Faulty psu
    Hi

I have an old dell latitude laptop which has given me many years of faithful service, but the psu has all of a sudden jacked it's hand in. If I plug the psu in on It's own the led comes on, fine, but as soon as I plug it into the laptop the led goes out and I can't charge the laptop. Any ideas anybody. Thanks Pat.

PSU.
    Model no. PA-1900-O2D
    OUTPUT 19.5 VOLT DC
    MADE IN CHINA
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2009, 11:01 PM

Remove the battery. Will the charger operate the laptop?

Nov 15, 2009, 06:44 PM

Tried that kiss but same thing, even tried my nieces psu, same dance, so I guess the prob lies in the laptop. Any ideas buddy. Cheers
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2009, 07:08 PM

Sounds like a direct short. Could be anything. Could even be the processor because it got too hot.

Nov 18, 2009, 07:47 AM

I am trying to have a look for the short myself, I've taken out all the small screws from the back but it still won't separate from the hinge side. Anybody had a latitude apart before, if so HELP !
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2009, 12:17 PM

You can look for a number of take apart guides such as this one.

How to replace broken hinges on Dell Latitude C640 C540 laptops >> Inside my laptop

In most cases you will find a few screws in the battery compartment that lets you remove the switch plate.

Nov 18, 2009, 12:49 PM

Will do k.i.s.s. cheers!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to reduce Laptop PSU from 19v to 15v [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have bought a bunch of second hand Toshiba laptops that are 15v. I have no transformers for them but do have lots of 19v laptop transformers. What if anything can I do to reduce the voltage? I am familiar with soldering and have lots of spare components and resistors. Is it as simple as...

Faulty cpu [ 1 Answers ]

OK I have an old dell 2300. I played world of warcraft on it all the time. My fiancée pulled the cpu out and bent the pins. Well that wasn't the problem. I was wanting to upgrade cpu's anyway. Well it had a celeron in it. So I bought me a pentium 4 478 socket for it. But when I install it all I get...

Faulty Themostat? [ 1 Answers ]

WE have a zoned hvac system and we are having problems with the master ( first floor ) themostat. It is a Honeywell Trolatemp and it appears that the air conditioning is not shutting down in accordance with the tempature that we have set. It just keeps getting colder and colder until we turn the...

Faulty FSB [ 1 Answers ]

I have a server that blue screens when it starts to get into Windows Server 2003. The only perculiar thing is that it only does it when the FSB is set to 133MHz. If I turn it down to 100MHz it loads and runs fine. I am yet to try a BIOS upgrade on the motherboard as I am running a repair on the...

View more questions Search