Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Treeweaver Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2009, 02:06 PM
    Air in water lines - Pressure Tank to blame?
    Hello,

We are getting air in our (well) water pipes. I understand that the water table may have dropped, or there might be a leak in the pipe down in the well.

But...

... being too cheap to agree to pulling the pipe out of our well (to check for the leak), I'm hoping it is possible that the air could be leaking from the bladder in the pressure tank and getting into the water that way.

Is this possible?
    CFrank Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2009, 04:10 PM
    I had the same problem awhile back. I finally called our plumber. The check valve at the holding tank was bad. After he replaced it the air in the water lines has gone and we now have better pressure in the faucets and shower. The pressure tank was OK.

CFRANK
    xcountry292 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2009, 04:59 PM
    You can check your tank in this way: turn off the electric power to your water pump,then open some faucets, when all the pressure is off, ie; no water at faucets, using a tire gauge check the air pressure in the tank, (there should be a valve stem on top of tank)
    The pressure should be 2 lbs less than the pressure that your pump turns on at. EX: if your pump turns on at 30 psi then there should 28 psi pressure in the tank.

To check your water line from the house to the well, disconnect the water line at the tank and hook up a pressure gauge a valve stem to the water line. Using a air compressor pump the line up to 60 psi it should hold at that reading.
    Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Determine external water tank height to ensure adequete water pressure [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Am building a farm house which has two levels, level one floor is 5 feet from ground and level two floor is 17 feet from ground. I draw water from a bore well, to ensure adequete water pressure for the 2nd level bathroom shower, how high should the water tank be to ensure adequete pressure in...

Well water loses pressure. No pressure tank? [ 12 Answers ]

We have lived in our home for 2 years. We have no way of contacting the previous owner to ask about the well. It is a submersible pump and the only think above the ground is about a foot and a half of the pipe and cap. There is no pressure tank that we can find. Our old place had an actual well...

Loss of water pressure w/new pressure tank [ 8 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I have a question involving my plumbing. I was having terrible water pressure and I checked the pressure at the pump itself and it was great. Went to the pressure tank and it was trickling. Shut down power to pump and drained system - checked air pressure and it was not...

Water pressure against tank height and tank water capacity [ 5 Answers ]

Normally the head pressure of water is .433 pounds per foot of head. Is there any change in pressure by changing the tank water capacity. e.g. if two tanks of 50ft height having water capacity of one is 10,000 gallons and other one has 20,000 gallons. What will be the water pressure difference...

Bleeding lines on hot water tank [ 2 Answers ]

I installed a hot water tank and the tank is full now I have no pressure in the kitchen or bathroom, how can I bleed the lines now that the tank is full?

View more questions Search