Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abodh Posts: 47, Reputation: -2

Nov 12, 2009, 09:07 AM
    Marijuana possession conviction
    What is the ramification of marijuana possession conviction in job search? What kind of felony is this in Virginia?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2009, 09:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by abodh View Post
    What is the ramification of marijuana possession conviction in job search? What kind of felony is this in Virginia?
    Hello a:

You'll have to be a little more specific. Possession of a joint will be a lesser crime than possession of several pounds for example. One might be a serious felony, and the other could be a misdemeanor.

The ramifications of ANY drug conviction, however, are draconian and long lasting. They should be avoided at all costs.

excon
    abodh Posts: 47, Reputation: -2

Nov 12, 2009, 11:52 AM

Thanks for your response. The quantity was just couple of puffs not in pounds. Will that have severe negative consequences on job search?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2009, 04:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by abodh View Post
    The quantity was just couple of puffs not in pounds. Will that have severe negative consequences on job search?
    Hello again, a:

If he's convicted, yes.

excon
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Nov 12, 2009, 06:16 PM
    Does anyone know if moving to a state where marijuana has been decriminalized would make finding a job search easier? I know it sounds like a long shot, but you never know, maybe employers are more tolerant in those states.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 12, 2009, 06:33 PM

This is not a felony, simply a fineable misdemeanor. It will affect some job background checks depending on what type of work you plan to do. Drug and sex charges usually will keep you out of all level of education.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 12, 2009, 08:10 PM

First it will not be a felony unless there was more than a "few puffs" so in the charges it will say how many oz or pounds they are charged with.

Also was possession for resale?

If it is a felony it is stlll a felony on your record.

If it is a misdemeanor it is still the same, if convicted you will have a criminal record.

If this is a first offense has your attorney discussed a plea for some sort of first offenders program.

Sorry a criminal conviction is just that, and even where the laws are better on pot, a conviction will still be on your record

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Simple Possession or Marijuana SC [ 5 Answers ]

While standing in a parking lot with 3 of my friends a cop pulled up and immediately asked for ID's without question. He then called for 2 other officers to come. On us we had around 1.5g or pot. This was not mine but it was in my pocket because I was looking at it when he came up. When asked...

Tax sale; possession taken [ 3 Answers ]

Situation: Titled owner (former boy friend) has not paid property taxes. Girlfriend has note securing property from B/F (unrecorded). B/F gets arrested. G/F has domestic injuction against b/f. g/f is given, by court order, full use and possession of property /residence. Judge states, while...

Possession of repo [ 1 Answers ]

I am still in possession of a vehicle that was co owned by my ex fiancé and me. Three years ago we he went into bankruptcy and named my car they tried to repo it a few times . I was not at home when they came. They stopped coming . A judgment was put against each of us for nine thousand dollars....

Adverse Possession [ 3 Answers ]

My family is using Adverse Possession to obtain a piece of property, after a year we are informed that we have to leave the property by 5/4/08 or be arrested for trespassing. Can we be arrested??

View more questions Search