Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    S33334Q Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2009, 12:28 AM
    Calif.Inheritance taxes on savings bonds & Roth Ira direct to Children/Grnd Children?
    In California is there inheritance tax (State or Federal) on savings bonds left to grandchildren or Roth Ira funds left to the children directly and outside of the Living Trust? Is the tax rate higher to the grandchildren than it would be if the bonds were left to the children? Is the tax paid out of their inheritance or does it have to be paid out of the estate or trust with no consequence to the inherited bonds or Roth Ira?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Nov 10, 2009, 10:57 AM
    I do not believe there is an inheritance tax in California. A check of the Franchise Tax Board's website should confirm or deny that fact.

There IS a California estate tax, but it does not kick in until the estate's assets exceed the federal limit, which is currently about $2 MILLION. If estate taxes are due, the estate pays them before any assets are distributed to the heir.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 10, 2009, 12:47 PM

And just to add something - it doesn't matter whether the estate's assets are inside a living trust or not - all the deceased's assets are counted in determining the amount of estate tax owed. CA does not have an inheritance tax, but if estate taxes are due they are paid out of the assets of the estate before the remaining assets are distributed to the heirs. It would be up to the executor to figure out how to raise the cash to pay the taxes. In general the executor would sell assets that are not titled as "payable on death" or that don't have someone namd as joint tenant with right of survivorship, as these should pass whole to the named party. So the executor would have to raise cash to pay taxes or other bills by selling other assets in the estate - he could sell stocks, or use cash from the checking or savings accounts, or sell real estate , cars, or personal property. Again, it doesn't matter if these assets are inside a living trust or not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Texas Inheritance Rights of Adult Children [ 1 Answers ]

My father in law passed away suddenly but left a very orderly will & estate (TEXAS). He left everything to his wife of 59 years. Their two sons are married & daughter is a widow with one adult child. What our question is... Can the eldest son contest the will? Does he legally have the right...

Cashing Savings Bonds to put in estate account to avoid paying taxes. [ 1 Answers ]

I have Series EE Gov. Savings Bonds in both of my deceased parents names. I am the only child and executor of their estate. Can I cash the ponds and deposit the money into estate account to avoid paying income tax, then later withdraw? I live in NJ and do not know the tax law on this subject can...

Ashing Savings Bonds to put in estate account to avoid paying taxes. [ 1 Answers ]

I have Series EE Gov. Savings Bonds in both of my deceased parents names. I am the only child and executor of their estate. Can I cash the bonds and deposit the money into estate account to avoid paying income tax, then later withdraw? I live in NJ and do not know the tax law on this subject can...

Oklahoma property inheritance for spouse and children [ 1 Answers ]

If a father dies without a will and leaves a house and a small amount of money, does everything go to the wife or does his half go to their 6 adult children? If the wife sells the house after her husband has been dead 9 years, does she get all the proceeds or does she only get half and the 6...

Inheritance Law Texas - children overseas [ 2 Answers ]

My father-in-law died in December 2008. He divorced my mother-in-law 3 year ago. They have 4 children including my husband (all residing outside the united states). He has 2 children with his second wife (US citizens). My husband's family has requested to see a copy of his will (if there was any)...

View more questions Search