Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moyenda Posts: 73, Reputation: 3

Nov 9, 2009, 07:04 AM
    DHCP Assinging
    Hi... I want to assing address range to a specific network that is sharing a switch with another network under a different set of address range, under different administration, problem is my network clients cannot listen to my dhcp server, they come up with a range on this other network... like I'll be on 192.168.0.10 - 50 & my clints will be addressed with 10.0.0.10 or something like that.
    Can I configure strictly that my clients listen to the local dhcp, instead..

Thanks !
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Nov 9, 2009, 09:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by moyenda View Post
    can i configure strictly that my clients listen to the local dhcp, instead...?
    Generally no. DHCP requests are broadcast and the first reply is used. More info about your networking setup would be needed to offer reasonable workarounds. For example, it would be possible to configure both servers to assign addresses as desired but that requires administrative control of both servers. Inserting a router would also prevent the broadcasts from your machines from reaching the undesired server.

For understanding of the protocol process see Wikipedia: DHCP.
    raj2160 Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2009, 12:10 PM
    Use VLANS to separate the broadcast domains from one another. That will keep the other DHCP from responding since it will be in a different broadcast domain.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DHCP for 2008 Server [ 6 Answers ]

I'm trying to setup DHCP server on a Child Domanin Controller and when I try to authorize the server I get "Access denied". I was able to configure the Root Domain controller with DHCP however, but also if I try to add the child DC as an authorized server I still get Access denied. Any ideas...

Dhcp error [ 7 Answers ]

Hey'll I have a 1053 Code Error on my Server2003 running both DNS & DHCP,suddenly after a power cut all my workstations configured themselves with APIPA range addresses.. now this LAN has recently been added with another Server2003 Std edition ! ( Technicians claim to have configured it out side...

What is DHCP [ 2 Answers ]

Can someone explain the DHCP?:)

DHCP and more than 1 NIC. [ 5 Answers ]

Hi there, Here is my problem, I am running Win2k server sp4. I connect using a boot disk which pulls down a DHCP address, which works fine. I want to add more nics to my server, so I can have different people connecting to different nics, so I can get a gig throughput to each of my switches....

DHCP servers [ 2 Answers ]

Why do DHCP servers have static IP addresses

View more questions Search