Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shirlpax Posts: 16, Reputation: 0

Nov 7, 2009, 02:49 AM
    Probiotic Overload?
    I have been taking a probiotic supp.(Probiotic Advantage by Dr Williams).It seemed to help my digestive woea at first, but now I am having excruciating gas pains and bloating especially after I eat. Could there be a link between the two? I've done research so I know the benefits of probiotics, but I've also heard some negative stuff about them. Anyone have any input?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 7, 2009, 06:44 AM

I don't necessarily agree with probiotic supplements. They actually do not come under the drug act, so don't have to be passed for consumption. Not very much research done on them, that's why probiotic cultures can be included in yogurt which gives some people loose stools. We all have these small good microorganisms in our system, some have more, some of have less. Our bodies are made that way, nature takes care of itself really. We are an amazing organism. I can't tell you how much I appreciated my own body after studying it.

It isn't a good supplement for someone with a compromised immune system, the elderly or very young. If you are having digestive problems, problems passing stool, then there are other corrective measures you can buy over the counter for satisfactory elimination which are wholly herbal such as Senokot.

We can't diagnose here on AMHD, shirlpax; we don't know your underlying medical conditions, but yes, you are probably on probiotic overload.

The side effects you are having are a normal reaction to probiotic culture. It is really up to you if you want to continue taking it or not

Ms tickle
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2009, 06:53 AM

I think that probiotics may be one of those things that you should take for short periods on and off like with echinaechia. Probiotics are most important after you have taken antibiotics.
    You might try switching to digestive enzymes and see if that works better. Another thing that is good but should only be taken for a really short time when you feel bloaty is a digestive or colon cleanse. But I think for everyday use the digestive enzymes are the best.

A good digestive enzyme will have amylase as well as a few other enzymes.

Learn How Digestive Enzymes Are Essential for Healthy Digestion
    pinkangelgirl Posts: 45, Reputation: 8

Jan 10, 2010, 09:35 PM

I'm not familiar with this particular probiotic, how many strains are in it? You may not need all of the types of bacteria in it and that is why your reacting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probiotic culture [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, This is my first post, and having heard of this site, I think this is very useful in terms of getting some answers down. I have a question in regards to probiotic a&b culture. I just bought a yogurt and was having trouble whether I should eat it or not. Is Probiotic culture vegetarian....

Probiotic yogurt [ 7 Answers ]

I work in a grocery store and people are always asking "Do you have any probiotic yogurt?" I'd always thought that the cultures in yogurt made it probiotic but lately I've been hearing a lot of people say that if it doesn't specifically say "probiotic" (like that activia yogurt and stuff) that it...

Overload setting [ 3 Answers ]

How to set the overload for an electrical circuit?

GFI Circuit Overload [ 14 Answers ]

My wife and I are buying a house. We just went through the inspection and the inspector pointed out that everything, and I do mean everything, in the house is running through the same GFI circuit. The inspector mentions that this could cause the GFI to trip repeatedly when we have too much plugged...

View more questions Search