Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cryptauto Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2009, 12:24 AM
    Honda Prelude H22A cranks but won't start.
    Honda Prelude starting problem
    Hello My 92 Prelude has 367,999km on the body but still mint. JDM H22a motor has 140,000km.
    Car has always started no problem lots of parts have been changed and tested including
    -distributer
    -tank/pump/filter fuel pressure tested
    -has good strong spark
    -timing belt is newish but checked timing
    -replaced all injectors
    -I used a friends ECM and still none

BUT

IF I UNPLUG THE FUEL PUMP AND CRANK THE ENGINE A FEW TIMES THEN PLUG IT BACK IN IT STARTS...

BUT IF ITS COLD OUT NONE SO I PUT A BLOCK HEATER IN AND IT ALWAYS STARTS
    ANY BODY GOT ANY IDEAS PLEASE ANYTHING...

Oh you when I am driving it all seem perfectly fine...
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2009, 07:01 AM

Test/replace the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor, which affects fuel injector pulse width. The ECT Sensor is a temperature dependent resistor (thermistor), whose resistance decreases as the engine coolant temperature increases. It provides a richer mixture when cold, leaner mixture when hot.
    tiny4me76 Posts: 45, Reputation: -1

Nov 7, 2009, 08:39 AM

Yea, we had a 1998 or 1999 Honda Prelude. It was a pleasure to have, but when we started having problems with it wanting to start. Then found out that it needed a new starter and spark plugs. It was all going to cost close to $2000. With a baby on the way and buying a house. We decided to trade it in for a new car. So my guess, it's probably the starter and new spark plugs. So be prepare for the repair costs.

Nov 7, 2009, 01:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    Test/replace the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor, which affects fuel injector pulse width. The ECT Sensor is a temperature dependant resistor (thermistor), whose resistance decreases as the engine coolant temperature increases. It provides a richer mixture when cold, leaner mixture when hot.

I have replaced all three of the sensors relating to coolant temp.

Nov 7, 2009, 01:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tiny4me76 View Post
    Yea, we had a 1998 or 1999 Honda Prelude. It was a pleasure to have, but when we started having problems with it wanting to start. Then found out that it needed a new starter and spark plugs. It was all going to cost close to $2000. With a baby on the way and buying a house. We decided to trade it in for a new car. So my guess, it's probably the starter and new spark plugs. So be prepare for the repair costs.
    Yea I am a mechanic I have done all the basics, I have spent way more then $2000 at cost,
    And money is no issue. Not to mention it cranks hard and fast, and has new starter, alt, battery and cables, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, distributer, coil, injectors, fuel tank, pump, level sending unit, filter, IAC valve, ignition wiring, coolant, T.P. and oil pressure sensors.
    There's lots more I can't remember but if think of it mention it I'll Try ANYTHING!!
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2009, 03:19 PM

Perform K-Test on the ECM.

Nov 7, 2009, 04:03 PM
    K-Test? I have swapped the ECM for a couple of days, my buddy had no problems and mine still only started when warm. I have done a compression test on all 4 cylinders (135-150psi) and fuel pressure tests with and without vacuum. (28-35psi) I Thought maybe warped head, worn valves or rings. But now I think there must be a commonly replaced valve or relay that I've over looked, not to mention the car training I got is more useful on newer cars with 1000's of engine codes and sensors of all types, Not good old fashion basics.
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2009, 04:17 PM

Does the CEL always come on and go out after 2 seconds, when the ignition switch is turned to ON?

Nov 7, 2009, 11:43 PM
    yes it does and I have had random codes over time and fix those, the OBD1 system works.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 8, 2009, 06:38 AM

There is a chance that the fuel pressure regulator may be leaking fuel back through the vacuum line, which would allow excess fuel during the initial start-up.
    You may also have an issue with the Idle-up control valve not functioning properly.
    But, why all the parts changed? They all tested bad?

Nov 8, 2009, 02:38 PM
    Well I'm a Mechanic so I get parts cheap and work 55+ hour weeks @ 40/hr if the part is cheaper then the testing time or results vary I don't waist time plus I have another prelude to use parts from that runs and works fine not to mention some of the parts were bad i.e.. Engine light, and the fact that the body has near 400,000
    so stuff that didn't come with the new engine is old. I also thought just replacing all the common Honda problems would eventually fix it.
    But I'm waiting on the "thermo valve" is this what you mean? And I have done fuel pressure tests on the pump alone, and on the test port on the fuel rail with and without vacuum didn't see a leak out the vacuum line? But over night pressure went down so I replace all injectors figured they were leaking in to head causing it to flood before I started it first thing in the morning. Because the pump alone did not loose pressure. And another weird thing to try to work in to this equation is cold the car can always be jump started??
    and many people have told me to give up and move on But I won't so keep shooting your ideas some one will get it.
    Thanks
    Cryptauto

Nov 8, 2009, 05:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich View Post
    There is a chance that the fuel pressure regulator may be leaking fuel back through the vacuum line, which would allow excess fuel during the initial start-up.
    You may also have an issue with the Idle-up control valve not functioning properly.
    But, why all the parts changed? They all tested bad?
    Well I'm a Mechanic so I get parts cheap and work 55+ hour weeks @ 40/hr if the part is cheaper then the testing time or results vary I don't waist time plus I have another prelude to use parts from that runs and works fine not to mention some of the parts were bad i.e.. Engine light, and the fact that the body has near 400,000
    so stuff that didn't come with the new engine is old. I also thought just replacing all the common Honda problems would eventually fix it.
    But I'm waiting on the "thermo valve" is this what you mean? And I have done fuel pressure tests on the pump alone, and on the test port on the fuel rail with and without vacuum didn't see a leak out the vacuum line? But over night pressure went down so I replace all injectors figured they were leaking in to head causing it to flood before I started it first thing in the morning. Because the pump alone did not loose pressure. And another weird thing to try to work in to this equation is cold the car can always be jump started??
    and many people have told me to give up and move on But I won't so keep shooting your ideas some one will get it.
    Thanks
    Cryptauto
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2009, 06:18 PM

Is the MAP Sensor good and have you checked for leaks? This is the key sensor on these cars.

Nov 9, 2009, 04:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    Is the MAP Sensor good and have you checked for leaks? This is the key sensor on these cars.
    I did another vacuum test today @ idle 20ip steady dropped to zero for a second when quick revved and then maintained 20ip checked all individual vacuum components for leaks nothing still...
    Darrens Auto Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2012, 10:29 AM
    I hope by now you have this fixed but did you check the ignition switch?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

91 honda cranks and sparks but won't start! [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1991 honda civic with a 1.5 in it. Here is my problem, it cranks and sparks but won't start. I have replaced the fuel pump and filters three times. I opened the top to the throttle body and poured some fuel in and it started and stayed running for about 15 to 30 seconds without pressing...

My 92 Honda civic cranks over but won't Start! [ 5 Answers ]

My 92 civic has 228,000 miles, turns over but won't start. I had replaced the distributor thinking the ignitor was at falt, battery is good, timing belt and components were changed 29,000 miles ago. There is NO check engine light coming on, only when I'm trying to start the car. I can hear the fuel...

My 1998 Honda Prelude won't start.AGAIN! [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1998 Honda Prelude DOHC VtEC that I just bought with about 97000 miles on it. I was with the guy that sold it to me when the timing belt broke. I got it checked and replaced the timing belt and water pump. He advised me of the ever so popular problem with the main relay. I replaced...

97 honda won't start/cranks won't fire [ 1 Answers ]

My fuses are good. car won't fire but cranks and its getting gas. It was fine I shut it off and 5 min later nothing

1994 honda cranks won't start [ 1 Answers ]

My 1994 honda accords engine shut off at a redlight. I tried jumostarting the car thinking the battery was dead but that didn't work. The engine cranks but the car doesn't start. Does anyone have any suggestions.

View more questions Search