Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nami109 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2009, 07:52 PM
    What can parents do after their child is 18
    Can a parent of an 18 year old get a restraining order against his girlfriend because they don't like her? Can a parent of an 18 year old force him to change high schools to keep him away from his girlfriend?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 3, 2009, 07:57 PM

NO one can get a restraining order against ANYONE just because they don't like them. They would have to prove the person is a danger to them.

And no, you can't force him to change schools. But you may be able to force him to move out if he doesn't comply.

But frankly, the more you try to come between them, the more likely you are to drive them together.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 3, 2009, 08:00 PM

No, a restraining order requires a serious threat or danger.

You may be able to change his high school, but it won't help,
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2009, 08:09 PM

I agree with the others and add this: think about what this will do to your relationship with your son.
    EliseLynn Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2009, 12:12 PM

What are the reasons? Is there an immediate danger? Is pregnancy eminent or is she influencing him to use drugs?

It is hard to know what you are avoiding from their relationship. I would at the minimum make sure he has access to contraceptives, pref with nox9 and a thin barrier so he isn't tempted to go without.

I would say I agree with ScotGem, you will drive them closer. Kids love a Romeo+Juilette martyr scenario to play at. Your best stance is to try and influence him in a positive way until the relationship plays its course.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

Why do parents still have rights after they have lost child after child to the system [ 7 Answers ]

I became close with a foster baby recently - he was being neglected at the foster home he was living at and I took him in. The foster mom had no problem with it as long as she kept the check every month. I never took a penny for keeping the baby. When he was 12 months old he was giving back to his...

Who pays child support if both parents has a child [ 2 Answers ]

Hello My wife is in a situation were her ex husband won custody of one child who is 16 and she has one child who is 18 about to go to college and works part time would either be liable to pay child support in this situation please help.

Why does a child need both parents [ 6 Answers ]

Why does a child need both parents? Ive heard this time and time again and I know its For there well being but what specific benefits do children reap. Im only asking because my ex-wife keeps insisting I NOT be in the kids life... except for the support checks of course. I was wondering what...

To those parents that have misplaced there child lol [ 7 Answers ]

I Got this in an email just now and I had to share it, it's the first thing to make me smile this morning :D The boss wondered why one of his most valued employees had not phoned in sick one day. Having an urgent problem with one of the main computers, he dialed the employee's home phone...

View more questions Search