Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nikkitoney61 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2006, 06:04 PM
    Arbitration
    I was served with papers from a county sheriff by a debt collector concerning a settlement through arbitration. I have 30 days to respond to the county sheriff. Anyone have any advice on what I should say in my response. I have quite a large debt to MBNA & no extra money to pay it.

Thanks,

NC
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 6, 2006, 06:15 PM
    You may want to check, I would assume you respond to the court or court clerk, not the sheriff department ( but could be wrong)

Well you choice is to appear and agree for arbitration or to not respond.

You agree to meet and then they will set up a metting. You do need an attorney, esp if you can't pay, since arbitation will not go very far is they ask you how much you can pay or will pay and you say nothing.

They are trying to work this out prior to getting a judgement and a garnishment on your pay check, so you need to work with them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Arbitration or litigation [ 4 Answers ]

I hope you can give a little advise. I have fallen behind on my credit cards and now am being threatened with binding arbitration. I was told that I should dispute the arbitration as a violation of my rights and go to litigation so I can be heard in a court of law. To me this sounds risky to jump...

View more questions Search