Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    breazy03 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2009, 11:39 AM
    Married disabled parent does child receive
    I'm young and married with 2 children and recently applying for ssi do to multiple sclorosis.
    My husband works. I want to know if my children receive benefits also. I didn't get a chance to work.I became pregnant after training to be a can and after the pregnancy I had a lot of problems and didn'get a chance to go back to work. What benefits are my family entitled to?
    sprtrmpcnsltng Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2009, 05:54 PM

I got benefits for my son on SSD, but I didn't qualify for SSI. There is a difference in the two. SSI is designed around your income, SSD is based on your disability only. I still think you get something for your kids, because that is why our SS system is broke lot of people having babies to get paid more. Themoney does have to go to the care of the child in my case. We started a savings plan with half and spend the other half on his daily needs.

Good luck.

I would also check with the social sec administration website. It has a lot of good info as well
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2009, 12:23 AM

I receive SSDI for MS. My kids each got x amount monthly. When one turned 18, the other got it all. Not just her half, but the whole amount relegated to the kids.

It can be extremely difficult convincing the Federal Government that you are disabled by MS. They require information that they conveniently fail to ask for. Get some help before applying.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do children receive SSI benefits for a disabled parent? [ 29 Answers ]

Do children that have a disabled parent that receives SSI benefits only receive a check themselves if they are under 18 years old? I have heard that if the parent was under a certain poverty level that the children would receive a check also. Is there any truth to this?

Child of disabled parent [ 4 Answers ]

My son age 10 is eligible to collect social security disability benefits based on my husbands terminal brain cancer. They told me as administrator of his funds I have to account for every penny each year. No problem, but since I am not the most organized person in the world I want to keep all of...

Scholarship for child of a disabled parent [ 1 Answers ]

My husband is disabled and I am looking for scholarships for children of disabled parents. I have heard that children of disabled parents could go to college for free. I don't know if that is true or is there any help out there. Thanks, Concerned Mother

Disabled Child in Placement and Parent Threatened with Abandonment by CPS [ 8 Answers ]

We are in WA state and my son is in a state institution -- he is severely autistic and 13 and was placed there voluntarily by us because he is violent in the home and was kicked out of schoo for violence. DSHS is telling me that I must come pick him up or they will charge me with "abandonment". ...

View more questions Search