Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    myair Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2009, 09:46 AM
    Is this an electrical or garage door
    Hi,
    As of last week I have been having problems with my garage door opener. It would not get enough power(I guess) to move the chain enough to perform its duty. I would stop after about 3 seconds. Whenever I press the button again all the power in the garage would go off completely including the button on the wall. The power would not come back on until I release the emergency lever and turn the circuit off. But the same thing happens over and over again. I am not sure if I would need an electrican or should I just call the garage door company? I have used one of those wiring plug from home depot that you plug into the outlet to see if there is a wiring problem unless it is not working properly it does not show any wiring problem. I would greatly appreciate your help.
    Thanks,
    ptcpaul01 Posts: 15, Reputation: -2

Oct 26, 2009, 01:20 PM

I would bring in a prfessional for this job, not calling you dumb, but you have to know your limitations, I do a lot of repairs myself, but I know when I need a pro, plus if you watch and they are nice you might learn a thing or two and just how difficult it is to be well trained as a pro

Oct 26, 2009, 02:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ptcpaul01 View Post
    I would bring in a prfessional for this job, not calling you dumb, but you have to know your limitations, I do alot of repairs myself, but I know when I need a pro, plus if you watch and they are nice you might learn a thing or two and just how difficult it is to be well trained as a pro
    Thanks I guess I should have phrased it better. I was wondering if I should contact an electrican or should I just have the garage door person come out. I do not want to pay the garage door person for coming out only to find out he cannot help me but that I would need to contact an electrican.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2009, 02:54 PM

Take a toaster and plug into the garage door opener outlet and see what happens when you try to use it.

I suspect it's the door opener.
    Tev Posts: 232, Reputation: 20

Oct 26, 2009, 04:59 PM

I'd call the garage door guy. Sounds like you have power and it's just the opener pulling enough current to trip the breaker. The most likely cause is the door being out of adjustment and binding up which causes the motor to become overloaded.

Oct 26, 2009, 05:08 PM

Thank you keepitsimplestupid and Tev
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 26, 2009, 06:46 PM

Look for a broken torsion spring.
    ptcpaul01 Posts: 15, Reputation: -2

Oct 26, 2009, 09:24 PM

After reading a bit more and thinking about it , unlatch the door (emergency release) and run opener, see if it operates smoothly, I have a question does door go up an down easily when manually operated? Get back to me and I will answer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garage Door Opener Will Not Close Door. Light Is Flashing. [ 16 Answers ]

Garage door opener does not close door. Light is flashing and there no obstructions in sensors. Chester

Overhead Door garage door opener light just blinks? [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: My 15 y/o Overhead Door (brand) garage door opener was working fine opening & closing until a few days ago. It has very low usage because I mostly park my car outside the garage door. Now when I press the remote control w/ new battery OR the hard wired wall switch, the light on the...

Garage door opener making loud noise and door won't go up [ 1 Answers ]

When I pushed the button to open my mom's garage door, the door went up about an inch and made a loud banging noise like a machine gun. We got the door to open by pushing on the button and pushing up on the door. The noise is coming from the part in the middle of the garage door that goes down...

How do I sync the keyless pad garage door opener to the main garage door opener? [ 3 Answers ]

I mistakenly gave someone my garage door opener that didn't return it. I had a male friend come over and "change the code" including my car opener and gave me a universial which he also programmed. I came to realize my code for my keyless pad outside doesn't work (since he changed the code... )....

Garage door opener prevents door from opening all the way -- how to fix? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I moved into a house three months ago and we didn't realize this problem before we bought it. I'm trying to solve a problem with an existing garage door and Genie opener which due to the amount of backroom along the tracks, doesn't allow me to open the garage door the full length...

View more questions Search