Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    butchic Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2009, 07:08 AM
    Isosceles triangle
    Find the perimeter of an isosceles triangle if the vertex angle measures 50 degrees and the length of the base is 28 cm. help.tnx
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2009, 07:14 AM
    Draw an altitude from the vertex angle to the base. Then use the cosine ratio to calculate the length of one of the legs (the other leg will then be the same.) Then add the base and the 2 legs together to get the perimeter.
    butchic Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2009, 07:31 AM

Can you please show me how to do it. I'm so dumb on this.. tnx
    Nhatkiem Posts: 120, Reputation: 9

Oct 20, 2009, 09:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by butchic View Post
    can you please show me how to do it. im so dumb on this.. tnx
    Think about what an isosceles triangle has to have. 2 sides of equal length, and 2 angles that are equal.

The sum of those angles have to be 180 deg. However, 1 angle is already given to be 50 deg, and if 2 angles are the same, then we have that

Now we know all the angles, and the length of side "c" (the side opposite to the 50 deg angle).

using the law of cosines (You can also use the law of sines, but I stick with cosines out of habit unless I can't use it, then I will switch to law of sines), we can figure out the length (which I will call a, and b) has to be. The law of cosines states

(I used here to represent the angle opposite of side "c".)

Remember that 2 sides have to be equal, so what can we generalize about the sides a and b, if c is known to be the base opposite of ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Perimeter of an Isosceles Triangle [ 16 Answers ]

What is the hypotenuse of an isosceles triangle if the perimeter is 16 + 16 radical 2?

Isosceles triangle proof [ 1 Answers ]

I need help with a geometry proof. The directions state. Draw a triangle labeled with the given and write a two column proof. The problem states If the base angles of a triangle are congruent then the triangle is isosceles. I need help setting this up and starting the proof.

Isosceles triangle [ 2 Answers ]

The area of an isosceles triangle is 30 square units.if the base measure 6 units,find the length of the altitude and the ratio of the altitude to the base?

Isosceles triangle [ 1 Answers ]

the sum of the square roots of any two sides of an isoseles triangle is equal to the square root of the remaining side. Is this statement true or false?

View more questions Search