Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    toney86 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2009, 11:42 AM
    2nd dui
    Hi i am due in court next week for my 2nd dui... my first was in february of 2004... on my 2nd dui i hit a guardrail exiting fwy.. no bodily harm to anyone or anyone's car... what is going to happen.. am igoin 2 jail.. should i hire a lawyer? toney86
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2009, 11:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by toney86 View Post
    SHOULD I HIRE A LAWYER?
    Hello toney:

Yup!

excon
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2009, 02:59 PM
    hi I AM DUE IN COURT NEXT WEEK FOR MY 2ND DUI.....MY FIRST WAS IN FEBRUARY OF 2004...ON MY 2ND DUI I HIT A GUARDRAIL EXITING FWY..NO BODILY HARM TO ANYONE OR ANYONES CAR...WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN..AM IGOIN 2 JAIL..SHOULD I HIRE A LAWYER? TONEY86
    I hope you don't hire a lawyer. I hope you try to represent yourself and end up getting the maximum sentence.

You hit a guardrail?? You were that intoxicated, you hit a gigantic, reflective object?

I think my favorite part is "No bodily harm to anyone or anyones car." Are we supposed to be proud of you for that? That this time, you damaged a guardrail instead of killing a family?

Who cares when your first offense was? That should have been enough for you to learn. Apparently not.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2009, 05:45 PM

You learned nothing the first time around. I'm sure the Court will make an impression on you this time.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2009, 06:00 PM
    hi I AM DUE IN COURT NEXT WEEK FOR MY 2ND DUI.....MY FIRST WAS IN FEBRUARY OF 2004...ON MY 2ND DUI I HIT A GUARDRAIL EXITING FWY..NO BODILY HARM TO ANYONE OR ANYONES CAR...WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN..AM IGOIN 2 JAIL..SHOULD I HIRE A LAWYER? TONEY86
    That guardrail COULD have very well been a car full of innocent children.

Why are you so selfish? Do you have a drinking problem?

As far as court, are you prepared to pay thousands of dollars? Court costs are high. A $200 fine could easily cost you $1000 with all the court, probation, and processing fees. How about community service? Several hundred hours? How about loss of driving privileges? Do/did you have a job? How about when you DO get to drive, can you afford the increase in insurance premiums? That is, IF you can get someone to cover you.

Thousands of people DIE every year by drunk drivers, like you.

If all these questions and comments made you feel guilty, or nervous, then so be it.

Grow up and open your bloodshot eyes.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 15, 2009, 06:08 PM

This will depend on what state you live in, many have mandatory jail time for 2nd, and so on, with each being longer. So your specific state law makes the difference.

And I would not go to court on a traffic ticket if I wanted to win without an attorney
    DisabledinMD Posts: 68, Reputation: 0

Oct 15, 2009, 11:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmjoseph View Post
    Thousands of people DIE every year by drunk drivers, like you.

And the ones who don't, wind up disabled, often for life, me being one of them. :mad:

Get an attorney and stop drinking and driving! You should be so lucky that you are alive and able to walk in to the courtroom, will it take killing and maiming an innocent person before you stop your behavior? I only wish the courts would put more people like you behind locked bars. The slap on the wrist approach doesn't work, which is why this is your second DUI. :(
    Enigma1999 Posts: 2,223, Reputation: 1077
    Welbeing Expert

Oct 16, 2009, 12:10 AM
    Hello Tony,

Have you not learned from the first DUI?

I would hope that you would be locked up! Grow up!
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2009, 12:18 AM

My dear friend lost her fourteen year old daughter to a drunk driver last year.My friend may never walk again.

He had no license due to his former arrests for drunk driving.He was driving the wrong way on the freeway.

I hope they throw the book at you!

People like you have no respect for human life and you should be ashamed.

You want to be a drunk,go ahead but don't get behind the wheel again!!

Some day you will kill someone.Unless jail teaches you a lesson!
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2009, 05:36 AM

Artlady, I'm out of greenies - but I had a family member killed by a drunk driver, not the first time he was involved in an accident.

He also thought he could drink and drive because he had "high tolerance." Here's a recent thread from someone who feels he can drive above the legal limit because he also has "high tolerance" - https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/crimin...ot-403874.html

And in my case a Judge let him off with a warning the first time - in NY State!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2009, 05:46 AM

Hello:

THE reason they are NOT going to charge the stupid family with the costs involved with rescuing their son, who they thought was on that spaceship balloon, is because they don't want to discourage OTHER parents from coming forward when their child is missing...

I think they're right.

If we bash the people who come here for our help, nobody is going to come here, and I'm going to be left to answer questions about sex - you don't want me doing that...

I don't disagree with your sentiments. I disagree with WHERE your sentiments are posted.

excon
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2009, 07:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    I don't disagree with your sentiments. I disagree with WHERE your sentiments are posted. excon

Love you, Excon, but it can't be both ways - either bash or don't bash (at least you left out the schtick about the Cops/doughnuts).

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/crimin...rs-406018.html
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2009, 01:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello:

THE reason they are NOT going to charge the stupid family with the costs involved with rescuing their son, who they thought was on that spaceship balloon, is because they don't want to discourage OTHER parents from coming forward when their child is missing....

I think they're right.

If we bash the people who come here for our help, nobody is gonna come here, and I'm gonna be left to answer questions about sex - you don't want me doing that....

I don't disagree with your sentiments. I disagree with WHERE your sentiments are posted.

excon
    Love you Exey but some things just make my blood boil.

I am usually pretty calm with people and do a lot of backspacing and editing to keep my posts from being too overly critical and judgmental.
    BUT..
    Everyday, I see an entire family destroyed by a serial drunk driver who clearly had no intention of killing and maiming for life that night.

It is an emotional issue and I did bash this guy but the cavalier attitude just pi$$es me off no end.

Don't worry,I have every faith there will be more posts such as this because there are more than enough stupid people in the world to keep this going for years to come.You won't be forced to work the sexuality board :)
    Dvnity Posts: 7, Reputation: 0

Oct 17, 2009, 03:34 PM

Yes, get an attorney. Depending on what state you live in what will happen to you. Not good of course you already know that. Ign interlock, treatment, EtG alcohol urine test, waiting for mine to come back. I drank 115 116 hours prior to the rest... ugh!!
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2009, 04:57 PM

You drank 116 hours before you tested DWI? That's 5 days!
    Dvnity Posts: 7, Reputation: 0

Oct 17, 2009, 05:24 PM

Not a dwi test.. a EtG urine alcohol test! It's a way to monitor alcohol intake for a zero tolerance situation. It test 80 hours up to 5 days of last drink!
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2009, 05:50 PM

I know what an EtG test is - I didn't know that was a question here.

I thought you were talking about the DUI and giving advice on what he should do - which is retain an Attorney.
    lauren6318 Posts: 36, Reputation: -3

Oct 21, 2009, 09:37 AM

In NJ, the cost of an attorney $3k - $5k ish - is nearly the same cost as the fines /fees associated with a 2nd DWI. ($3775 - $4275 plus court fees) + 30 days community service AND 2- 90 days in jail.

(http://www.criminaldefenseattorneynj...es-new-jersey/)

If drunk drivers knew this BEFORE drinking, I wonder how many would call a cab instead.

FYI, I've seen cases in NJ where people are charged with reckless driving, endangerment charges for alcohol with less than legal limit in their system, so don't mess around in NJ.

I don't drive at night anyway cause I have terrible depth perception in the dark, I would likely make a terrible drunk driver. Which is why I make DH be the DD :)
    sherice1977 Posts: 53, Reputation: -3

Oct 22, 2009, 09:08 AM

I used to drink and drive about 10 years ago and every morning I would wake up and look out side to see if my car was out there... not remembering driving home at all.. I even had a guy on my block tell me that I almost ran him over... when I think about my wild drunken and driving days it really freaks me out..
    Iggy22 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2009, 04:30 PM

Oh dear... I can see this site can be harsh! But, like you I have friend who just went through a 2nd DUI... I would consult a lawyer first... We hired one and it got us NO WHERE! It all depends on your case and if the officer made any mistakes! Good luck and for the record... DONT DRINK AND DRIVE!! THAT GAURDRAIL COULD HAVE BEEN BREATHING!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search