Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anam38 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2009, 07:09 AM
    Dog ear shaking red itchy
    Hi I have a 3 year old hound mix dog. He has been shaking his ear and scratching it. Also externally the ear is very red. What is this and what can I do for him. I regularly clean his ears with ear cleaning fluid for dogs so I don't think that it is from dirt.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2009, 07:14 AM

If you have already tried cleaning his ears and seen no improvement then I would say he either has mites or an infection both of which need to be seen to by a vet for treatment.

You will most likely be given ear drops to administer.
    To do this you simply hold the dogs ear over its head and put required amount of drops in (depending on the size of your dog you may need some help)
    Then put his ear back down and rub the outside, this will help push the drops further down the canal.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2009, 04:04 PM

Sounds like an ear infection. Possibly yeast.
    Get him to a vet, they will do an ear swab to see what it is and administer the proper meds to remedy the problem.
    2labsmom Posts: 40, Reputation: 9

Oct 15, 2009, 05:41 PM

If his ear has a bad smell or dark brown waxy stuff its either mites or yeast infection, which regular cleaning will not clear up, its need to be treated with medicated ear drops from the vet. If there is no smell or dark wax then it may be a bug or part of the cotton or what ever you clean the dogs ears with. Either way take to trip to the vet.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2009, 05:49 PM
    Take him to the vet.

This is probably driving him crazy.

My dog had ear mites one time like Shaz mentioned, and he scratched himself raw.

They scratch at it, but can't really get to where it itches, on the INSIDE.

Whatever his problem, take him to the doctor, and end his misery.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2009, 08:21 AM

With my GSD it was an allergic reaction - her one ear becomes inflamed, sore, she spends most of her time trying to insert her foot into her ear canal, long before she develops the redness under her legs, on her belly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog with red itchy ears, shaking head [ 4 Answers ]

Over the past 6 weeks, my 3 yr old toy poodle (6lbs) has had itchy ears on and off. It started with both of my poodles on the same day. They both had very itchy ears, and kept us up all night scratching. 3 days later, I took the female to the vet to have hers looked in, and they said they only...

Dog shaking head [ 3 Answers ]

My dog is shaking her head and her ears are clean. If there is a bug in her ear, how do I clean it? What can I use if it is ear mites?

Shaking monitor [ 2 Answers ]

OK guys I've tried evey were on the web for some answers, the problem is my monitor just won't stop shaking! I've had it in the same place for the last 2 years no new hardwere wires or anything has been moved about there is no electrical interference and it was fine last night I turned it on this...

Shaking furnace [ 1 Answers ]

Furnace works but this morning while running it shakes and sounds horrible. Never did this before.

Shaking furnace [ 1 Answers ]

Furnace works but this morning while running it shakes and sounds horrible. Never did this before. Planning on leaving for the day should I shut off furnace or will it be OK. It's a Airco (forced air)

View more questions Search