Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tany072075 Posts: 57, Reputation: 4

Oct 12, 2009, 08:46 AM
    Garnishment of wages
    Is it legal to garnish my entire income from my checking account?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2009, 08:52 AM

Garnishing your wages is one thing; seizing your bank account is another.

Yes, it is legal in some States to take your entire bank account (if that is your question). In general monies from Social Security cannot be seized under most circumtances. Otherwise, the bank account is fair game.

Oct 12, 2009, 09:30 AM
    Even when my my only income is from unemployment and the entire amount is deposited directly into my checking account?
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2009, 10:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tany072075 View Post
    even when my my only income is from unemployment and the entire amount is deposited directly into my checking account?

Yes. The exception is SS income which can be "tapped" for student loans and child support.

This varies somewhat by State. Where are you?

Oct 12, 2009, 10:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Yes. The exception is SS income which can be "tapped" for student loans and child support.

This varies somewhat by State. Where are you?
    I'm in Iowa
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2009, 10:43 AM

Yes, your bank account can be seized in Iowa - IA Collecting the Judgment - Lawyers.com - if a Judgment is in place.

No exceptions other than SS which I mentioned.

Oct 12, 2009, 10:48 AM
    Yes, your bank account can be seized in Iowa - IA Collecting the Judgment - Lawyers.com - if a Judgment is in place.

No exceptions other than SS which I mentioned.
    Ok. Well thank you very much. Not exactly what I was hoping for, but thank you so much for answering my questions.
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2009, 10:55 AM
    Ok. Well thank you very much. Not exactly what i was hoping for, but thank you so much for answering my questions.

No problem - sounds like a very bad time (to put it lightly!) for this to happen to you but, unfortunately, that is the law.

You don't need me to stroke your ego but you would be AMAZED by the people post a question and then attack the person who answers if they don't like the answer. You asked good questions and took the advice well. I appreciate that.

Oct 12, 2009, 10:59 AM
    No problem - sounds like a very bad time (to put it lightly!) for this to happen to you but, unfortunately, that is the law.

You don't need me to stroke your ego but you would be AMAZED by the people post a question and then attack the person who answers if they don't like the answer. You asked good questions and took the advice well. I appreciate that.
    Yes. I've been reading some of the questions on here and how people answer them. I see what you mean. I just registered today to try to find some answers. Maybe someone should create another website called "argue with me help desk" ha ha.
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2009, 12:16 PM

Girlfriend, I like your style!

Here's a thought and it's just a thought - NJ is listed as a not so friendly to the debtor State. If I were you (and I can only find this provision when taxes and foreclosure are involved) I would write a "hardship letter" to the creditor. Explain your circumstances (you are looking for work, you have a career, you have a game plan, this is a rough time). They have stripped your bank account and so you are having difficulty paying your utilities, whatever else is involved.

I wouldn't be defensive and I would apologize all over the place for NOT taking care of this with payments - you were scared, you didn't know what to do and so you ignored their Judgment.

Then ask if you could make arrangements - would they return your money if you PROMISE to make payments?

I don't know if it would work but I'd sure as heck give it a shot.

All you'll lose is a little bit of time - and send it registered mail to both the creditor and the creditor's Attorney.

Oct 12, 2009, 02:50 PM
    Girlfriend, I like your style!

Here's a thought and it's just a thought - NJ is listed as a not so friendly to the debtor State. If I were you (and I can only find this provision when taxes and foreclosure are involved) I would write a "hardship letter" to the creditor. Explain your circumstances (you are looking for work, you have a career, you have a game plan, this is a rough time). They have stripped your bank account and so you are having difficulty paying your utilities, whatever else is involved.

I wouldn't be defensive and I would apologize all over the place for NOT taking care of this with payments - you were scared, you didn't know what to do and so you ignored their Judgment.

Then ask if you could make arrangements - would they return your money if you PROMISE to make payments?

I don't know if it would work but I'd sure as heck give it a shot.

All you'll lose is a little bit of time - and send it registered mail to both the the creditor and the creditor's Attorney.
    I really appreciate your concern for my situation. I assure you, I have tried everything possible to work around this. I had a payment plan through the county clerk of court the first time I defaulted on this debt. I paid every single month, never late on even one payment for probably about 2 years. In July, my June payment was sent back to me with a paper saying they were no longer accepting payments through the clerk of court and gave me the address of the collection agency to continue making payments to. Unfortunately, that was also the time that my severance package from my previous job ran out. Unemployment is not much to live on. So its only been since July that I haven't made payments. I heard not a single word from the collection agency until last Thursday when the sheriff was at my door serving me garnishment papers. I talked to the sheriff's office, the clerk of court, the bank and two people at the collection agency. Nobody can help. The only thing I have figured out to do is to have my unemployment checks mailed to me so it doesn't go directly into my account. They told me at this time, the garnishment is only from my bank account. So I figured I'd make sure there's a little in there at all times but I don't know how much it would take to satisfy them. I'm sure they will find other ways to get it eventually.
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2009, 03:40 PM

I still think instead of trying to talk to someone who may not have the ability to do anything (and this is out of the Court's hands) I'd make an attempt in writing. And, yes, take away the direct deposit.

But, of course, it's your decision.

Oct 12, 2009, 03:44 PM
    I still think instead of trying to talk to someone who may not have the ability to do anything (and this is out of the Court's hands) I'd make an attempt in writing. And, yes, take away the direct deposit.

But, of course, it's your decision.
    Never hurts to try. I will do that.
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2009, 03:50 PM
    Never hurts to try. I will do that.

Let us know how it works out.

Oct 12, 2009, 04:08 PM
    Let us know how it works out.
    Will do

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garnishment of Wages? [ 12 Answers ]

It's the case of the garnishment of wages -requested of an employer who's not really an employer. The debtor is actually a subcontractor of the "employer". In other words, there is no employer/employee relationship w/the employer that was served the writ of garnishment. The debtor is a sole...

Garnishment of Wages [ 1 Answers ]

I received notice today that I was being garnished for a car I owed on. I talked to the person at work who handles this and she said the amount the state allows is 25%, my question is: Is it 25% per paycheck (paid 2 times a month) or is it 25% total for the month? Also can VA disability and...

Wages and Garnishment [ 2 Answers ]

What are the rules relating to garnishing wages in Florida.I know that more than 25% of 'disposable income' cannot be garnished .However do the courts also take into consideration our expenses.Right now I cannot even pay my regular expenses!

IRS garnishment of wages [ 8 Answers ]

Can my employee garnish my bonus or commission check? If so, at what percent. I just had a garnishment on my wages of my bonus check and the check was for ($1377.00 gross) and all I received was $10.47 the garnished almost the whole thing. Is that legal?

Garnishment of wages [ 3 Answers ]

How is a garnishment handled when 2 parties were envolved for one payment, can one person only be garnished for the payment due, what to do if they try to put it on one person:confused:

View more questions Search