Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rxnarunner Posts: 99, Reputation: 6

Oct 9, 2009, 11:36 AM
    Selling house.main bathroom issue
    We are selling our house, the main bathroom is in OK condition but a little out dated. Dark ceramic tiles and just not up to today's standards. HOWEVER, a good cleaning and fresh coat of paint will make a difference.

Is it worthe the money to redo the bathroom? Or just keep it simple with the cleaning and paint and new light fixures? I know the bathroom and kitchen can bring you some money. But not sure if we will get the money out of it once its updated.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 10, 2009, 03:52 PM
    Hi Rxnarunner...

Hard to say without seeing the house, of course, but most likely your best bet will be to update a bit and clean well/paint as you suggested. Heck, as a remodeling plumber I can remember quite a few jobs that we did where the original owner remodeled the bathroom only to pass our names on to the new homeowners that had us RIP OUT almost everything we did for the original owners... ;)

To update, beyond clean/paint, maybe you can change the toilet and the sink/faucet out. You can also change the chrome trim around the tub/shower valve... depending on the make of the tub/shower valve.

If you post a couple pics. Here we may be able to give you a more informed opinion...

MARK

Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 10, 2009, 05:28 PM

Had to say, your local real estate agents will know what compared properties are going for. Honestly, it may not be how much extra but even if it will sell if you don't. All depending on the price you want to sell it for.

The last house I bought was at about 1/2 of the selling value of that house 4 years ago. Many homes in this area are seeling for about 1/3 of what they sold for 3 years ago.

Oct 10, 2009, 07:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Had to say, your local real estate agents will know what compared properties are going for. Honestly, it may not be how much extra but even if it will sell if you don't. All depending on the price you want to sell it for.

The last house I bought was at about 1/2 of the selling value of that house 4 years ago. Many homes in this area are seeling for about 1/3 of what they sold for 3 years ago.
    I am actually in the middle of a real estate class, with the hopes of getting my license. Once that's done, I will be able to check out the area and find what the houses are going for. The area is good, and the houses around there have sold for a decent amount. There is close to 150-180k in equity in the house already. It was a fixer upper and a lot of work has already been done.

Wed like to put on the market next spring. Its sad for the seller the decline in the market, good for the buyer though.

Oct 10, 2009, 07:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Hi Rxnarunner...

Hard to say without seeing the house, of course, but most likely your best bet will be to update a bit and clean well/paint as you suggested. Heck, as a remodeling plumber I can remember quite a few jobs that we did where the original owner remodeled the bathroom only to pass our names on to the new homeowners that had us RIP OUT almost everything we did for the original owners...;)

To update, beyond clean/paint, maybe you can change the toilet and the sink/faucet out. You can also change the chrome trim around the tub/shower valve...depending on the make of the tub/shower valve.

If you post a couple pics. here we may be able to give you a more informed opinion...

MARK

Mark

I will try to get some pictures together. Great idea about just simply changing the toilet and sink. Trim too.

You're right, we could put tons of money into a bathroom and the next owners may hate it. I guess its an option to keep the bathroom update the things suggested and then maybe have some sort of allowance when selling. Or maybe just see if its even an issue.

Thanks for the suggestions. Ill get some pix up ASAP

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Selling house as-is [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to sell a single family house that is rented out and the rental lease expires in 3 months. The house has some issues and definitely needs some repair work. What are my obligations as a seller. Is it enough to just say : "selling house as-is", or do I have to actually disclose all the...

Sink, main line hook up issue [ 1 Answers ]

I have hooked up a single drain basin sink to the main line shared by our washing machine. The Washing machine now overflows out of the inlet and fills up the sink. How do I hook up the sink correctly to stop this. We used to have a double sink and did not have this issue. I really appreciate...

Selling a house [ 2 Answers ]

I have heard that a fireplace adds 12% to the value of house when selling. Can anyone confirm this, because it sounds like a lot?

Selling House [ 1 Answers ]

I am selling my house (by owner) -- looking for templates that I can use for flyers. Thanks

Selling house after less than 2 yrs [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a house a year and a half ago and may need to move because of my job. What do I need to know regarding taxes on the sale? If I put all the money from the sale of my house into a new house, will I be exempt from taxes?

View more questions Search