Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19

Nov 1, 2006, 05:24 PM
    Winterizing my dog-A few suggestions
    When winter is upon us, we need to focus on the special needs of older dogs, who can be especially susceptible to the extremes of temperature and other stressful, dangerous conditions of winter.

(1) Does your older dog need a sweater? How about a raincoat? Wet fur decreases your dog's ability to fend off the cold. Even if she's never needed these before, as she gets older, she'll be less able to keep herself warm with activity.

(2) Is your dog's sleeping area free from drafts? Is there a blanket and thick mattress pad for her to snuggle under/sleep on?

(3) Does your dog have ready access to unfrozen water? It is preferable for all dogs, including seniors, to live indoors with their family, but, if that's not possible for your dog, ensure there is always a source of water to drink that remains unfrozen.

(4) Never leave anti-freeze in a place that is accessible to your dog. If it spills on the garage floor, wipe it up immediately and rinse the area clean with lots of water. The sweet smell of it is attractive to dogs. Anti-freeze is a poison.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2006, 05:47 PM
    One good solution to the antifreeze problem is a propylene glycol formulation. PG isn't near as toxic as EG. It is slightly less efficient as an antifreeze, but still protects down to -26 F at the standard 50/50 blend with water. Good enough for most of the country. You can go as low as -76 F. Sierra was one of the first brands to offer it. Last time I was at Wal-Mart they had Prestone Low Tox for the same price as regular.

I have run it is my old truck for years. It is almost time to dump the factory fill in my car. I will be putting the Prestone Low Tox in it. And yes, I will carefully dispose of the old.

Last year when I was ringing bells for the Salvation Army, I had to tuck little Nita under my coat. At 3 months and 22 pounds, Holly is already beyond that. She should be OK to be out by then.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Jet ski winterizing [ 3 Answers ]

I have a yamaha waverunner jet ski that I would like to winterize myself (to save some$$$) how do I go about this?

Suggestions? [ 1 Answers ]

I don't get along with a sister who is a year and half older than me, I am having problems with my parents with communicating, the youngest sister doesn't like talking to me and is hostile towards me when I try to involve her or get invloved with things with her, and the oldest sister I don't...

Jet Ski winterizing [ 3 Answers ]

Our local dealership is charging over two hundred dolloars each to winterize my two jet skis. I'd much rather do it myself, but want to ensure that I do it right! Any info or sights would sure be appreciated.

Winterizing Lawns [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Washington State and I am wondering what steps I should take to winterize my lawn. Both my back yard and front yards get about half a day of sun each day. There are some spots where moss is starting to take over and some spots that are patchy and dead. I bought the house in May and at...

View more questions Search