Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2009, 11:43 PM
    What is a Rebound Relationship ?
    Following a painful romantic break-up, some people enter into a new relationship almost immediately, often with less-than-stellar results.

Dating too soon after an emotionally charged break-up is known as a rebound relationship, and is almost always considered a bad idea for all parties involved.

A person in a rebound relationship may have great difficulty distinguishing between the old romantic partner and the new one, for instance.
    Whenever a romantic relationship ends, whether amicably or painfully, both parties should allow themselves to go through a real grieving process before pursuing new relationships.

In essence, there has been a "death" of a valued relationship, and few people can recover from such an injury in only a few days or weeks.

While the prospect of dating someone new, especially someone who has been kept off-limits during the old relationship, may sound like a cure, a rebound relationship rarely, if ever, ends well.

Another problem with a rebound relationship is motivation. Some people who feel victimized or humiliated by a bad breakup may feel the need to start a new relationship simply to prove they are indeed over the old one.

Some rebound relationships are primarily directed at former partners, either in an effort to generate feelings of jealousy or to remind them of what they gave up. Neither tactic is a particularly healthy reason to pursue a rebound relationship, and the new partner is not always as understanding or conspiratorial as one might hope.

There are times when a person may feel he or she has fully recovered from a break-up and is truly prepared to re-enter the dating scene, but this may be a premature assessment. If a new relationship starts too soon after a painful break-up, the new partner may become little more than a sounding board for all of the negatives intended for the former partner. Constant comparisons to a former boyfriend or girlfriend can be a sign of an unhealthy rebound relationship, as well as the careful avoidance of almost all dating venues associated with the former relationship.

Because there will almost inevitably be a new relationship following the dissolution of an old one, it is important to recognize the difference between a new healthy relationship and an unhealthy rebound relationship. Much like a widow or widower, a spurned partner may want to establish a reasonable hiatus from dating until he or she is emotionally ready.

Personal counseling may also help prevent someone from entering into a shallow or unhealthy rebound relationship until his or her self-esteem has been fully restored.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to seek out companionship following a painful break-up, but you owe it to yourself and your new partner to make sure the new relationship is based in reality, not a ghost in the machine.

Source: wiseGEEK
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2009, 11:45 PM

I've actually posted this article I found on a few occasions when people enquire about Rebound Relationships so thought it would be a good idea to have it as a thread in case new people come on and search "Rebound"

Hope it helps some people understand the dynamics as I think it's a great article.
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2009, 12:08 AM
    Have to spread rep but I agree with your posts. Not until we are completely over a past relationship and are happy with ourselves are we ready to meet a new partner.
    We need time to heal before we get involved with someone new.
    LJDK Posts: 281, Reputation: 25

Oct 2, 2009, 05:30 AM

Can someone get over their lost love in 7 days, if they despised the other one for a good 2 - 6 months, then finally broke it off?
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2009, 05:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LJDK View Post
    Can someone get over their lost love in 7 days, if they despised the other one for a good 2 - 6 months, then finaly broke it off?
    I don't think so, unless you were over the person before the relationship was over.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Oct 2, 2009, 06:19 AM
    Here's a controversial observation that I'm going to bring up.

Though I agree that the person who recently broke up needs to recover before jumping into a new relationship. Sometimes, it's easier said than done. The feelings are flowing and when you're in the situation, you might feel: "why wait, the feelings are there, let's go"?

However, my controversial point is, whether the new person should have some responsibility in slowing down the relationship, so that it won't result in a rebound relationship. The person who broke up is in emotional turmoil. However, the new person should more objective about the situation and should take some (not full) responsibility in helping that person recover, instead of easing into a rebound relationship with that person.

Thoughts?
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2009, 06:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by I wish View Post

Though I agree that the person who recently broke up needs to recover before jumping into a new relationship. Sometimes, it's easier said than done. The feelings are flowing and when you're in the situation, you might feel: "why wait, the feelings are there, let's go"?

However, my controversial point is, whether the new person should have some responsibility in slowing down the relationship, so that it won't result in a rebound relationship. The person who broke up is in emotional turmoil. However, the new person should more objective about the situation and should take some (not full) responsibility in helping that person recover, instead of easing into a rebound relationship with that person.

Thoughts?
    No one said it was easy though! Lol. I think you're right. It's hard to fight feelings when you get them, but if you know you're not ready, you need to start thinking with your head and not with your heart.
    LJDK Posts: 281, Reputation: 25

Oct 2, 2009, 09:08 AM

It takes a lot of self control from both partners once feelings starts setting in.

In about 60 years I can comment on whether it can work out considering my fiancé just came out of relationship when we met. She told me we should take it slow, I knew we should take it slow... but hey, apart from all the dramas we have had, things are looking bright and shiny these days.

The trick was to accept things that cannot be changed. Who would have thought.
    Ultra Member

Oct 2, 2009, 05:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by I wish View Post

That's exactly what people do and how they get into Rebound Relationships , I actually think that a lot of people who get into them don't even know what a Rebound Relationship is until it's too late.

Thoughts?
    I see your point and agree both parties should be held accountable , however on a lot of occasions the other party may not know that the dumped person has just come out of a Relationship so they become an unsuspecting victim of the dumped persons emotional state.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Oct 2, 2009, 05:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by friend4u178 View Post
    Thats exactly what people do and how they get into Rebound Relationships , I actually think that alot of people who get into them don't even know what a Rebound Relationship is until it's too late.
    I agree, that's the problem, the person who just broke up doesn't always think he/she is getting into a rebound relationship. But I think part of it is the fact that when you're in a relationship, you've built a dependence on another person. So once you cut ties with that person, you're looking to fill the void. I think in most cases, people are just afraid to be single.

Quote Originally Posted by friend4u178 View Post
    I see your point and agree both parties should be held accountable , however on a lot of occasions the other party may not know that the dumped person has just come out of a Relationship so they become an unsuspecting victim of the dumped persons emotional state.
    Yes, this is extremely unfair to the new person getting involved in the relationship. But what goes around comes around. The new person will eventually find out about the break up. It's too big of a secret to hide. At that point, the new person can decide whether he/she wants to continue the relationship due to the circumstances. In some cases, it could work out anyway. But in other cases, the relationship won't work out. But either way, the truth will and should eventually come out.
    heartonsleeve Posts: 17, Reputation: 3

Aug 19, 2010, 03:16 PM

I am currently very aware of not letting myself get into a rebound relationship for most of the reasons stated above.
    I have had a few guys show an interest, and they are lovely men, but something just hasn't felt right so far. Part of me really really wants something to happen with one of them, just so that I can hold my head high once again and say "see? Someone finds me attractive", but also because I am scared of being left on the shelf.

I have been in easy, long term relationships where I have been put on a pedestal, but I have always been the one to end those relationships. Then the one person I was actually crazy about, had a brilliant physical relationship with as well (something I didn't have with others), turns out to be a commitmentphobe and used me whilst starting to see someone else.
    I don't know what I am looking for any more. Should I opt for the 'safe' option where I am 'worshipped'? Or shall I hold out for another 'bolt of lightning'? I am confused and feeling lonely and am not entirely sure what to do.
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Aug 19, 2010, 04:23 PM

There's a saying where I live, 'If in doubt do nowt' - nowt being nothing. Give yourself more time to sort out your feelings.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Just got dumped in rebound relationship [ 17 Answers ]

Although I'm over 40 and "should have known better" - I didn't. I was friends for some time ( 2 years) with a man who eventually ends up in the process of a divorce. He asked for the divorce and was having a tough time financially due t court orders and a move to another state - a duaghter...

Why do men immediately rebound when a relationship ends ? [ 12 Answers ]

I personally, as a woman, if I really loved the person, need time to grieve, cry, then I pick myself up eventually and move on full steam ahead. But I have to allow myself the grieving process. Going on a date doesn't help because you are not yourself and yourself esteem and confidence are low....

I am in a rebound relationship? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I'm new here. Here's the deal. I met my boyfriend online. He told me is divorced for 2 years. He came to my country and we hooked up. We continued our correspondense, and talking on the phone for a year before I went to visit him in his country and by then our relationship progressed to a...

Have you had a rebound relationship? [ 7 Answers ]

Say you were looking for sex and companionship to help get over someone else, not necessarily a relationship. Did you/would you do it with someone you weren't physically attracted to, if you liked their personality?

Is my ex-girlfriends relationship a rebound? [ 6 Answers ]

Me and my ex girlfriend have been broken up for almost 2 months now. She hasa new boyfriend now. He was the guy who was there fir her after the break up. After 2 weeks and she saidshe is in love with him. In the same token she said if they ever were to break up that we would be going out again. Is...

View more questions Search