Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    agregory Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2009, 04:11 PM
    If I am a fulltime exempt employee do I need to submit a time sheet?
    I am a full time exempt employee who has been asked to submit time sheets. Is this legal? And further more I am told to report only the hours they want me to report, they say that no overtime or anything over 8 hours a day should be reflected on the sheet however I am required to work for more than 8 hours a day. Is this allowed? What are my rights as an employee?
    eriknugent Posts: 90, Reputation: -5

Oct 1, 2009, 04:57 PM
    You question is a little unclear how ever in the you should be getting paid for your time anthing over 40 hrs in a week is time and half and pay your taxes unless you don't need to if that is what an exemt employee is. Make sure you have records to know what you earned.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2009, 05:22 PM

Is there a Union? Is there an employment contract? Are other people asked to do this same thing?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 1, 2009, 06:19 PM

If you are a salary employee, they may ask you to work any hours they wish. I would never falsify a time sheet.

If you are paid by the hour, then you should be reporting all the hours you work,
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2009, 07:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by agregory View Post
    I am a full time exempt employee who has been asked to submit time sheets. Is this legal? And further more I am told to report only the hours they want me to report, they say that no overtime or anything over 8 hours a day should be reflected on the sheet however I am required to work for more than 8 hours a day. Is this allowed? What are my rights as an employee?
    Hello a:

I'm sure they can ask about your time... But, tell 'em the truth. If they want a time sheet, and want you to LIE on it, there's something funny going on.

I don't know what you want to DO about it, though. But, from your perspective, I would NEVER submit a false time sheet. It looks like THEY'VE put your job in jeopardy.. You LOSE if you comply, and you LOSE if you LIE.

So, if it was ME, I wouldn't let them do that to ME. I don't care that jobs are hard to find. I could find one. You may not be able to find work so easily. (Hell, I might not either, but I THINK I could.) So, I don't know what you want to do...

You can fight them for sure. Maybe you'll win some back overtime.. But, you'll LOSE your job.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should an exempt salaried employee be docked for leaving early [ 1 Answers ]

I am an exempt salaried employee who works 40 hours a week 9 months out of the year. The other 3 months I work anywhere from 70 to 100 hrs a week. About a month ago I left about 2 hrs early, and then last week about 1 1/2 hrs early. Now they are telling me that I have to take that off my monthly...

Downsizin EXEMPT employee in California [ 1 Answers ]

To further clarify my 1st question. If I tell Exempt employee to stay home and wait do I still have to pay them? If I don't pay them do they lose their exempt status? Which then opens us up to back voertime pay.

Does temporary lay off an exempt employee affect their status? [ 2 Answers ]

I work in New Jersey and may be laid off for 1 week per month to cut costs. Will this effect my exempt status?

Can fulltime employee be 1099 in addition to w2 [ 1 Answers ]

Can a fulltime employee be 1099'ed in addition to w2'ed for his normal job?

View more questions Search