Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carrie w Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2009, 07:08 AM
    What to do with my unpainted bacement ceiling in a small space?
    I want to do something with my basement ceiling to brighten it up because it's a small space and unfinished. The house is approximately 60 yr. old so I want to use the right kind of painting treatment, because the wood is so dry , it'll absorb the paint, my question is, What should I do? Keep in mind... a small space and making it seem large, fresh and airy? Currently my washer & dryer are in this space and I'm adding a homework station for the kids . Thanks.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 30, 2009, 02:26 PM

Is it an actual ceiling or just the udersides of floor boards and floor joists?
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Oct 1, 2009, 04:16 PM
    What is on the ceiling right now? You could prime with a water-based primer and then paint the ceiling with ceiling paint.

Oct 1, 2009, 05:56 PM

Pretty much what I was thinking but it would help to know if it is really a ceiling or just joists.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2009, 07:10 PM
    http://freshome.com/2008/01/14/ceili...-storage-idea/

I always love this idea, maybe it is possible in your basement, especially if you are going to make a homework space for the kids.

Oct 1, 2009, 07:32 PM

Not for me if its an 8' ceiling, I am 5'6" LOL
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Oct 1, 2009, 07:40 PM

Have you thought about drapping the ceiling with fabric? It might make it look like a fortune teller's tent but it could brighten the place and cover up the wood.
    carrie w Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2009, 04:46 AM

It's not a ceiling, it's undersides of floor board and floor joists, nothing on them, just the rouch lumber, no pain, no primer. Can you give me some more ideas?
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2009, 10:55 AM
    Hi carrie,
    Is it possible for you to post some photos, maybe that could help anyone trying to help you.

Thanks.

EDIT:
    Carrie,
    If you are also looking into making a few changes to the whole space in order to make it lighter airier, you might consider a change of colour.

Pale colours make a room seem less crowded, if you could use different shades of the same light colour around the room it works even better.
    Like the walls a few shades lighter than the ceiling, and using the same colour even when you are adding furniture and/or accessories like rugs,wall hangings etc.
    Choose the lightest two shades on a paint color strip.

Good lighting will also help make a room seem airy.

Maybe you could even try this ,a fake skylight. http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3039/...910c3c.jpg?v=0

Just a few ideas.
    suptclark Posts: 64, Reputation: 8

Oct 13, 2009, 10:09 AM

I did my basement with a spray gun and it looks much better than what was there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to find space for a small master bath [ 1 Answers ]

I have a bi-level house with 3br and 1 bathroom upstairs. We have two large rooms in the basement, one as a home-gym and the other as an additional livingroom. I'm trying to figure out how to add a small master bath, possibly without adding on to the back of our house. Any ideas from anyone? ...

View more questions Search