Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2009, 10:20 AM
    Hello S:

It takes a strong couple to withstand one partner using drugs and the other not... Your relationship is doomed.

Don't feel bad. It ain't your fault. Unless of course, you're like my ex, who smoked with me for 20 years, and then out of the blue, decided it was evil weed, and nagged at me every time I smoked. If you're like that, it IS your fault.

excon
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2009, 02:19 PM
    Part of the issue here is that there is a tension between not speaking up and not being heard.

Because you're afraid to lose your BF, you don't speak up about the smoking - so when he's smoking with a friend you retreat into your room and you don't articulate what's bothering you. This makes you feel dis-empowered and then depressed and unhappy.

When you do speak up and talk to your BF about how you feel, for example when you talked to him about your sexual needs, he dismisses your feelings and again you felt dis-empowered, depressed and unhappy.

In order to resolve this, one way or another, you need to talk to him. Can you arrange to go away for a day somewhere - say for a drive, or to the beach, or for a walk in the country? Create a situation where it will just be the two of you, not in your home, but somewhere so that you can have uninterrupted time together. (Preferably without the weed.) Be absolutely direct with him and let him know that you're reconsidering the relationship, and that the smoking plus the lack of satisfying sex is a deal breaker for you.

I can understand that you're feeling depressed and dis-empowered because you can't see the way ahead. May I strongly suggest that you need to speak with your friends - they may well have things happening in their lives but your need is serious. Speaking to people that know and love you will give you a different perspective. You need their support and guidance.

If you don't speak up no-one will hear you. If you take some action you will feel like you DO have some control instead of hiding in your bedroom feeling like the world is crashing down around you.

I do understand that it is hard and that the prospect of a break up is frightening, but you do need to stand up for yourself and for what you want.

Begin to accept that the addiction has a greater hold on your BF than you do.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2009, 06:51 AM
    Actually this is not allowed - all correspondence must stay on the Board.

I question just WHY the OP loves him with all her heart - I see an addiction to weed or anything else as no different to addiction to alcohol. Ends up painful for all of the parties unless/until one party accepts the behavior or the other party stops the behavior... and you can't make anybody do anything!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I'm jealous of my boyfriend's relationship with his 7 year old daughter [ 11 Answers ]

I feel ridiculous admitting this but I'm jealous of the relationship my boyfriend has with his 7 year old daughter. We've been dating almost 2 years, and there has been so much stress! We're both divorced, and met while we were separated. Both of our spouses left us.I have no children, (I'm 41) and...

Boyfriend has low libido and I have high libido [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I'm 19 and my boyfriend is 25. We've been together almost a year. Things moved really quickly and I ended up living with him only a month or so after we got together. He is the perfect guy in every way and we have never had a fight yet. However, our sex life has gradually hit an all-time low. ...

Relationship trauma, break up killing me. Have I made right decision? [ 22 Answers ]

I've only been with my boyfriend seriously for 2 months, and we progressed very quickly, took everything too seriously and its left me in a mess! I'm 19, he is 22 next month. From the first date he warned me he had a high sex drive, I freaked out as I had never been in a relationship before and...

Libido enhancer [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I was watching young & the restless last night and they were talking about libido enhancer, is there a libido enhancer that work for women and men? In the show it was powder and the woman put it in the coffee to make a woman and a man to have sex to prove that she is cheating any way I just...

Do you have to be good friends with boyfriend's friend for a relationship to work? [ 2 Answers ]

Does two people have to know each other really well before getting into a relationship? Or can you get to know each other while dating and thereby improving your relationship? Is it important that you are friends with his friends (meaning you can chill and hang out with his friends too, like you...

View more questions Search