Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grayeyes22 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2009, 02:16 PM
    4 years and I still don't know if I'm the one
    I met my current boyfriend my freshman year of college and we have been together for 4 years. After about 3 years, I started getting antsy because he has never officially told me that I'm "the one". Both of his parents have had numerous divorces, so he is kind of weird when it comes to this type of stuff. He says he doesn't want to tell me forever because "you never know what could happen". He didn't want to live together just yet, we got into a fight, and I honestly lost interest in keeping our relationship so serious because I felt like it was a high school relationship stuck on a plateau. I'm honestly not ready for a ring, I'm 22 years old and still have a couple of years of schooling ahead of me. However, am I asking too much for wanting complete commitment? After a major fight last December, I decided to take a break and talked with several other guys. My boyfriend and I got back together. I still talk with some of those guys. I feel like I'm going to be that girl that dates a guy for 10 years waiting on him to marry her, only to have him dump me and marry the next girl within 6 months so I keep my options open. I used to think he was the one, but all of this waiting around on him I'm starting to have my doubts. I love my boyfriend and we have a lot of fun together, but do you think I'm wasting my time?
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2009, 02:32 PM

Knowing the way he feels,if he did produce the commitment,would you accept it?

Would you be comfortable knowing you forced the issue?

I would be asking a different question...

Not am I the one for him,but is he the one for me..

Put him aside for a moment,and look at what you want,it sounds from your post that you would like a bit of freedom...

In a way he is right,there are no definites,no one can tell what the future holds and how relationships will pan out.

People don't stay together because a piece of paper tells them to,they stay together because they want to be together...

You have to ask yourself,is this relationship for me?

Has it run its course?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 27, 2009, 02:45 PM

After four years, if he does not know, you are not
    troy70 Posts: 66, Reputation: 14

Sep 27, 2009, 02:46 PM

Your 22! I say you go have fun with the other guys you made contact with :). Get your school done, get your career situated, make that money, THEN worry about commitments! <3
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2009, 02:56 PM

If he hasn't decided if you're the one and you're having these doubts then don't waste your time. I don't mean to sound harsh at all but if you were committed to him, I don't think you would still be talking to the guys that you were seeing when you were on a break. You know what I mean?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hi. I am a 36 years old female and has been seeing a man for 3 years we have been fri [ 8 Answers ]

Hi. I am a 36 years old female and has been seeing a man for 3 years we have been friends since I was 17 and about 3 years ago that grew into something more. He is everything to me my best friend my lover and my partner. There is no one I would like to spend my time with except for him. He is 56...

Is it really over after 5 years? [ 9 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I have broken up after living together for 4 years. We got into a fight about a week and a half ago. She went out to a club and I made some stupid accusations. Hurtful Words were exchanged between us. That night we went to bed together and didn't really talk about it (the...

Hi I am 20 years old [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am 20 years old . I had sex with my boy friend. And for past 6 months I have not keep sex with my boy friend. Now my parents are taking me to doctor to check up .will doctor find out that I had sex with my boy friend.

Ontario / Seven years done... Now seven more years? [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Ontario Canada and have waited seven years for a TD Bank entry to come off the "Credit Information" section on my Equifax report, It's come off but now there's a completely new entry in the "Collection Accounts" section for the same arrears handed over to a collection agency. I thought...

View more questions Search